Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lathe decisions - HELP

They do look a lot alike. The Jet is 40 pounds heavier.

Pivoting headstock for extra-large bowl turning capacity. Headstock rotates and locks in position at 45°, 90°, 135°, and 180°. Includes stand, tool rest, drive center, 6'' disc, and Allen wrenches.
    Swing over bed: 12''
    Motor: 3/4 HP, 120V, 60 Hz
    Speeds: 600, 750, 910, 1080, 1260, 1460, 1680, 1910, 2150, and 2400 RPM
    Turning distance between centers: 33-3/8"
    Shipping weight: 184 lbs.

JET 12" Variable Speed Wood Lathe
    Model JWL-1236. Heavy-duty cast iron bed, headstock and tailstock provide rigidity, strength and minimal operating vibration. Pivoting headstock quickly turns 90° to facilitate outboard turning. Variable speed spindle has six pre-positioned selections from 550 to 3,000 rpm, with positive detents. Powered by a heavy duty 3/4 HP motor. Complete with 12" tool rest, 6" face plate, spur center, and live center. Capacities: 12" swing over bed; 34-1/2" between centers; up to 16-1/2" outboard turning. 1" x 8 tpi spindle is thru bored 3/8". Spindle and tailstock are #2 Morse Taper.

Shipping weight 225 lb.; shipped by common carrier at our regular shipping & handling rate plus $20 for excess weight. Freight items will be brought to the back of the delivery truck and it is your responsibility to unload. The driver will not help you. If you want delivery with a liftgate truck or wish to pick up the item yourself at the terminal, contact our Customer Service Dept. and they will work out the details and contact you with options

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: JET 12" Variable Speed Wood Lathe Model JWL-1236
    Price:$549.99

Model JWL-1236. Heavy-duty cast iron bed, headstock and tailstock provide rigidity, strength and minimal operating vibration. Pivoting headstock quickly turns 90° to facilitate outboard turning. Variable speed spindle has six pre-positioned selections from 550 to 3,000 rpm, with positive detents. Powered by a heavy duty 3/4 HP motor. Complete with 12" tool rest, 6" face plate, spur center, and live center. Capacities: 12" swing over bed; 34-1/2" between centers; up to 16-1/2" outboard turning. 1" x 8 tpi spindle is thru bored 3/8". Spindle and tailstock are #2 Morse Taper.

Shipping weight 225 lb
    Last edited by Robert Cox; 12-05-2004 at 10:04 PM.

I don't know why I am agonizing over this so much.

While the HF is certainly attractive I have read very mixed reviews of it and its Jet counterpart.

I need to just order my new Mini and be done.

My JET mini is on the way!! Should be here Thursday. Going to be real busy this weekend!!!

CS-USA says the thing weighs 69 lbs. UPS tracking says it weighs 93 lbs. Quite a difference........wonder who is correct?? 24 lbs of packaging seems a bit much???
    Last edited by Randy Meijer; 12-07-2004 at 2:22 PM.

Jet 1236 for sale

Robert, where are you? I'm in Mt. Clemens, Michigan & have a Jet 1236 for sale. It's about 2 years old & in great shape with a custom cover. Asking $275. I outgrew it & bought a Powermatic 2035.

Chuck

I'm down in Maryland.

How is the Jet 1236 differetn than the HF or Grixzzly that look like they came off the same line?

Similar...

I'm haven't seen the Griz, but the HF is similar, but not the same. As mentioned above, there is about a 40 pound difference between them. The Jet is made from bigger castings, has a different tailstock, banjo, toolrest, nicer machining on the ways, etc. That said, I know a couple people that have HF's & are happy with them. They only do spindle work.
    Remeber, you are buying a FIRST lathe. Most people will either upgrade to a big & expensive lathe down the road, or decide turning is not for them. Either way, you will have more fun buying lathe than thinking about buying a lathe. No substitute for experience in order to find out what you really want. All of them have pretty reasonable resale, so don't worry too much.

Have fun,

Chuck

I figure that weight has to show up somewhere.

Any idea if you could get it shipped reasonably?