Thread: Magnalac

Magnalac

Magnalac has been suggested to me for spraying my furniture. Any comments regarding its use?

I was looking into it and the lady at MLCampbell recommended their Magnamax instead. After searching online for comparisons, virtually everyone recommended Magnamax instead. So while I have never used Magnalac, I can tell you I had fantastic results with Magnamax pre-cat lacquer.

I've used both. the Magnalac 550 VOC was an excellent product. However, regulations changed and it was replaced by Magnamax 275 VOC. The difference was considerable. The Magnamax was yellow in the can andf yellow"er" on the wood. It was almost impossible to get it to lay down without significant orangepeel without thinning almost 50%. It also was difficult to sand between coats. There are much better products currently on the market.

Not sure if there are different types of Magnamax, but the type I used was satin, was whitish in the can, no orange peel (used 10% care reducer), no noticeable yellowing on maple or mahogany.

I use pigmented Magnamax on my products and i think its the cat's meow. It's almost as durable as conversion varnish, but much easier to work with. It flattens out really well, so is very forgiving of less than stellar technique. I also really like the Magnaclaw primer. I paint a lot of plywood edges and this stuff has great holdover, which eliminates a lot of filling for me. I,ve also gotten great results with the Magnamax clear finishes. Everyone that I've turned on to their products has stuck with them.