Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Important is a Quick-Release on a BS?

How Important is a Quick-Release on a BS?

...to you?

It's one of the final short list of features that one saw I'm considering has, the other doesn't. On my old Delta 14, I never had a quick-release (never even knew they existed). Just left the saw sittin' there, and used it when I wanted it. Changed blades now and then (broke a few, as I recall). I like the idea of one, but have to weigh it against other factors.

Also, if anyone knows of an aftermarket one that will work on a Jet 16, I'd be mighty obliged...

As long as the saw has a nice beefy tension wheel that is easy to reach (the Jet does) I don't worry about it. Lots (most) of the Ialian saws don't have them. I might suggest the Jet 18 (1 3/4 or 3 hp) as it is a good bit more saw and both include a quick release if it interests you. The July 4th 15% off sale is over but they will all likely to come back on sale soon.

As best I understand, the argument for de-tensioning a bandsaw is that the steel and the rubber will be damaged if they are left under tension. If this were true, we'd all be putting our cars up on blocks every night. They have rubber tires and steel springs, like the bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    As best I understand, the argument for de-tensioning a bandsaw is that the steel and the rubber will be damaged if they are left under tension. If this were true, we'd all be putting our cars up on blocks every night. They have rubber tires and steel springs, like the bandsaw.
    You mean ... you DON'T ?

Band saws in industry stay tensioned continuously.

Same for my band saw at home.

As Van indicated, the Italian saws often don't have this feature, neither do the Felder saws.

Band saw tires need replacing on my saws due to ozone damage, not due to being continuously tensioned.

Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 07-14-2010 at 8:12 PM. Reason: grammer

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post

The steel argument is just bogus, if you are not exceeding the elastic limit of the band or some component of the saw itself it is a non-issue, it is arguable that it actually hastens failure of both through work hardening BUT that is a very MINOR issue that would never be approached with a bandsaw/blade.

The tires CAN however be an issue as they can flat spot if they are left tensioned for a long (I have never determined what long would be and would vary by composition and design of the tire anyway). Car tires will also flat spot if left parked for extended periods of time, rarely an issue for most of us. In the same way if you use your BS several times a week (or maybe even once) you probably won't see flat spotting BUT as I said the design, type and possibly the environmental conditions of the tire probably have a lot to do with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Car tires will also flat spot if left parked for extended periods of time, rarely an issue for most of us.
    Of course if you're old enough to remember tires with nylon cords, you also remember thumping down the road for a few miles, in winter, until the tires warmed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    , neither do the Felder saws.

If I am not mistaken the Felder machines are Italian as well, unless things have changed ACM builds them, not even sure the NA bound ones visit Hall in Tirol or if they just ship direct to Felder Canada and Felder US.

Tension levers could be nice I suppose if you change blades a lot but that is rare when you get to larger machines. If you use one BS or have a smaller one for curves and change blades often it might be worth the few seconds saved. My general impression is blade tension levers are a "feature" that is easy to add and many (most) Asian saws seem to have them tacked on it helps them look better on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    Of course if you're old enough to remember tires with nylon cords, you also remember thumping down the road for a few miles, in winter, until the tires warmed up.

This is true and I still remember when tire commercials touted "steel belted" as a big deal!

My 14" Delta has been under tension for 46 years. Never a problem.

On my Laguna LT18 it clearly states on one of the saw's warning labels to de-tension the blade overnight to prevent warped wheels and blade breakage. Maybe this is overkill or one of those warnings to limit any liability, but it is cheap insurance IMHO -- a few quick turns of the hand wheel is all it takes. I suppose this could be more of an issue with a larger blade. I have not had any issues with the wheels or tires on my machine yet and it is going on 9 years old now.

Scot

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    My 14" Delta has been under tension for 46 years. Never a problem.

George, that blade has lasted a long time! If I didn't know better I would say you hadn't cut much. Sounds like it is tipped with something from NASA... unobtanium maybe?

Call Timberwolf, ask them for their catalog, or it maybe on pdf on their web site.... great info on BS blades, including de tensioning....

This is one of those issues where experience of others can not be analyzed unless you had all the details.... for example, what % of max. tension is everyones blades at? That would be a big factor in analyzing responses. If you already run at a low tension, de tensioning would probably have little or now value. But if you run at high tension, I suggest it would be beneficial for the long term wear of the blade and the saw.

Another poster brought up the issue of putting our autos on blocks.... funny thing, with RV's that is often the case, they sit on their jacks or jack stands when not used for months..... same reason, reduce stress on the components below the frame....

I detension my MM20...specially when I start using the thin blades, such as 1/4".... I tighten enough to allow the blade to perform the task at hand....gets easier once you learn your machine..... then a quick single turn of the de tension wheel will reduce tension enough where there is no serious stress on the machine, no big deal....I too thought I would miss an automatic de tension, but its a non-issue to me now...

Does a bandsaw need to be de-tensioned.....I don't know. I know I have read good arguments for and against over the years. For the amount of time it takes to do, I see no reason not to. Since I do release the tension, having a quick release makes it easy to do and let's me return to the same tension each time.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

I release the tension on my MM-16 each time I'm finished as it can be weeks before I use it again. Why chance it? I turn the wheel 2 full turns. Then next time I go to use it, I turn it 2 full turns to tighten it and quickly recheck tracking. I haven't yet seen tracking effected but it's a relatively quick thing to do.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-14-2010 at 10:37 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....