Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color printing to wood

Color printing to wood

I have seen various charms, ornaments, dog breed pins and whatnot that are color onto wood. It seems to me that the laser engraver would be well used to cut out these items but I am not versed on the various methods of transferring what appears to be printed output to them. I am curious what you folks could share with me on how to make flat colored knick-knacks onto wood and then various methods for added creativity. For instance, if you do heat transfer polymation of laser printer toner, how do you finish this, do you apply the color before or after cutting it out and so on... I wonder what neat effects could be achieved be using the laser before or after applying the color images.
    GCC Laser Pro Mercury L25

I had a flat bed printer - The Busjet that could print on anything a3 size and up to 5" thick. I used my laser to cut wood stuff (thin wood) and then made a perspex jig for the printer and used to print on the wood. problems were that you had to coat the wood with a ink receptive coating and there was no white. You could do the same today with a UV curable printer but they , like the busjet (which was rubbish) aren't cheap.
    There are a lot of ways you can do this , coat the wood with a ink receptive coating and sublimate or sublimate without and then laser cut and deal with charred edges , laser cut and screen print , laser cut and pad print , laser cut and then use clear or white self adhesive printed decals (use a print and cut machine for intricate stuff)
    Wasnt a particularily profitable excercise tho - you have to market this new service as much as you market your laser cutting and colour on wood isnt anything really new.
    If you could buy an a3 or bigger direct to substrate printer for less than 2-3 grand and can use inks that require no coatings and have both white and a metallic silver (to do all metallic colours) and have a UV/fade resistant ink , then you would have a good tool for colouring laser cut stuff.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I have seen those AnaJet DTG printers that ink right to t-shirts then you put them into the heat press to set. I wonder if a t-shirt heat press might not be a good thing for wood panels?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gjvELpIILI

I also wonder what the laser would do to a previously heat transferred polymation. Seems like it might do some melting and probable shrinking.

Has anyone explored laser printer dye sublimating? I have to wonder how this stuff works since the laser printer itself gets pretty darn hot. Or perhaps it's a special printer too...

I suppose that an unfinished wood or mdf material would be the best to accept a sublimation.

Blog Entries
    James,

You may have better luck Googling for info if you don't use the word Polymation... it's a trademarked term for Magic Touch's heat transfer process, so using it may limit your searches unnecessarily. Just use the term heat transfer.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

There is a difference between color laser transfer and dye sublimation. Dye sublimation will not work on wood. CLTT will work in varying degrees of quality but keep in mind that the printer does not have a white cartridge so whatever you transfer to will alter the colors of the transfer by it's own coloring and the substrate color will replace white in the final result.

I have been doing CLTT for several years and do not do wood because I don't consider it to be satisfactory.

There is a lot more info on the sign forum on this topic.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 07-15-2010 at 7:54 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Why was this post moved ?
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Someone posted about water slide decals awhile back. Apparently, you can get the ink to transfer to wood by using turpentine. Check this out.
    http://www.lazertran.com/techniques/wooden_boxes.htm

The nice thing is, you don't need a bunch of new equipment.

I think Dee G originally posted about this. Maybe she'll chime in with real experience.
    Last edited by Scott Challoner; 07-15-2010 at 9:50 AM. Reason: spelling
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

I can't believe Scott remembers I posted about this!

I do use Lazertran decals on wood. You just print them on a sheet of their decal paper, cut them out to whatever shape you need and put some water on them. After a minute, they slide off the backing. If you apply now, they will NOT be permanent, but will stick okay...you still have to seal with something.

To apply permanently to wood, you let them dry first on a towel. Brush some mineral spirits onto the wood and place the dry decal onto the wet thinner. Smooth it over with the brush to get any air out and wait til dry.

I usually spray with clear lacquer, but you can use poly too, to seal it. The decal will not be completely clear until this step is done. When dry, I finish sand to smooth it out.

It's a nice easy low-tech way to use color on wood.

You can get this stuff for either laser or inkjet... I use the inkjet because I've had both and find the inkjet looks better. I think my laser printer is too hot for this material.

dee
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dee Gallo; 07-15-2010 at 1:18 PM.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I remembered this but spent 20 minutes looking for my keys today. Go figure.

Besides, all of your work is memorable Dee.
    Last edited by Scott Challoner; 07-16-2010 at 1:59 PM. Reason: Added gratuitous flattery
    Scott Challoner
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

Rodney

I moved the thread because it was in the engravers forum and should have been here where, besides signs, we cover CLTT and sublimation.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Here is one example of where I am curious about how it was done. It is a pin that my mom picked up at a dog event some years ago. It is on mdf and the print has a little bit of texture to it that is not from the substrate so I am wondering if it might have been a water slide and it bubbled a little bit as a "texture feature"? The sides are black and the back is unfinished so it looks like the entire front may have been sprayed black before accepting the print. And then I guess it was sprayed with sealer but I'm not an expert in deducing these things just yet.

So how was it done? When was the substrate cut and when was the print applied? And then to the specific question at hand for me; how might I go about duplicating this process myself using my laser engraver and either my color laser printer or inkjet?

It looks like the print was applied, then sprayed with poly or something and then laser cut. It looks like there is a little melt-back on the print, that's why I'm assuming it was cut after application. I don't know if the texture was on purpose or an accident.
    Scott Challoner
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Challoner View Post

I remembered this but spent 20 minutes looking for my keys today. Go figure.

Besides, all of your work is memorable Dee.
    All gratuitous flattery gleefully accepted! Thanks, Scott!
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Do you think that the melt-back suggests that the print was not on paper, but perhaps a heat transfer or maybe a water slide? I guess I have to figure some things out by experimenting, it's just that I dont want to be wasting cash or time right now for things I dont need.