Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: help with Grizzly freight delivery

Blog Entries

help with Grizzly freight delivery

i have heard different things from different people and i want to get everyone's opinion on this please....

if you bought a machine from Grizzly, what freight company did they use and what is your location,
    and did they just deliver to your curb and you had to unload or did they unload and move it to your
    shop or garage?
    and if they moved, what did they use to move it?

I bought a G0691 table saw at the end of December, and received it the first week of Jan. Mine was shipped by UPS freight. I paid the extra for lift gate, and the driver used a pallet jack and brought it right into the shop. (concrete pad in front of shop, door opens to a cul-de-dac.) I'm just west of Ft. Worth, TX. Hope this helps. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I just had a G0691 delivered last month. It was via UPS freight, but the truck was a semi of some other company's...Perhaps a subcontractor. Can't remember the name. They called ahead of time and we set up a day and time range (5 hour range as I recall) that they'd be there. I had paid for lift gate service, which gets it to the ground from the truck. They used a pallet jack to move it to the back of the truck and to the gate, and brought it down on the pallet jack. I was really nice to the guy and asked if he'd help me by wheeling it 30' up my driveway to the garage and he gladly did. They don't have to though.

You have to pay for lift gate service if it is a big machine....Unless you own a forklift! For my machine I think lift gate service was not quite $40 in addition to the shipping Grizzly quotes in the catalogs.

It was a smooth and seamless process.

Edit: Funny, Jim! Same saw, same experience. :-)

That is funny. I think lift gate fee was 32 or 33 dollars. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I have had 4 Gizz deliveries they have all been UPS freight I paid for the lift gate service $30 to $40 range each time they used a pallet jack and moved the machine into my garage. My drive is paved. I usually give the delivery guy a tip if he has a good attitude.

My shop is 150 feet behind the house with no driveway to it I leave the machines on their pallet and put the machine and pallet on a piece of ply with a strap attached through a couple of holes and pull the whole thing out to my shop. I get some help to steady it if it is top heavy.
    Thank You
    Ed

I am in Connecticut and recently bought a G0555 band saw. I paid for the lift gate service and the freight driver offloaded the machine in the street and pushed it up my long steep paved driveway into my garage. He was very helpful. I didn't have to persuade him; he expected to provide that service.

Contrast this with a few years ago when I wanted buy a 1023 table saw, I told Grizzly about my driveway and asked if they would put the saw in my garage. After the freight company checked my location prior to my placing the order, they refused to deliver it as requested. They said that they couldn't use the lift gate on my driveway and that the table saw was too heavy to push up the driveway. I bought a Sears Zipcode saw instead and I have been a happy puppy. Incidentally, Sears not only delivered the saw to my home, but transported it up the driveway and then down the sloped grass to the opposite side of my house into my walkout basement. ...All for a $65.00 delivery charge. Not sure they would do that again (the saw weighed >400 lbs.

In my case Grizzly delivery to my home depends on the weight of the tool.

here is SoCal the grizzly shipper is FedEx freight. lift gate is/was part of the standard shipping for that carrier as i remember (i don't think i paid extra for it via fedex). every time the driver used his pallet jack to roll the tool from the truck, up my driveway then to where ever in my shop I asked for.

the best was my 19" bandsaw that was too tall to fit under my garage door while on the pallet - I told the driver to just drop it in the driveway. he looked at the ominous sky overhead - said something like "nice tool - hate to see it get wet" - went to his truck - got his handcart - took saw off the pallet and tilted it under my garage door by himself (he didn't want me to help & get hurt - he was a beefy dude) and wheeled to my shop

fedex freight & grizzly totally rock

I had a G0513X2 delivered about 2 years ago. I paid $25 for liftgate. We have a very steep driveway and I was ready at the bottom of it with a 2 wheel dolly. The driver helped me pull it up the driveway.

Edit to add mine was delivered via FedEx freight.
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 07-15-2010 at 8:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    My G0490X was delivered by FedEx Freight. The driver back a full-on semi and trailer right into my suburban driveway (which has quite an upward slope), Use a pallet jack to move the boxes onto the lift gate, lowered it a bit and back it right into my shop.

My G0440 was also delivered by FedEx Freight and the driver used a pallet jack to drag it up from the street. "Lift gate" charge on each delivery was $25. I'm in SoCal.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    i emailed grizzly to ask a few questions and here is their reply,
    i did not ask about lift gate service.

The G0555 14" Bandsaw would ship via Saia from our Missouri warehouse. Upon leaving the warehouse, it will take approximately three to five business days for delivery.

Your address must be tractor-trailer accessible. This delivery is a curbside delivery, which means the driver will pull up to the curb and move the merchandise to the back of the truck. Truck drivers are also subject to a number of regulations, one of which is that they are not required to give any assistance in unloading. Please be prepared for this curbside delivery as you are responsible for unloading the item and placing it in your shop. This normally requires assistance. We do provide the trucking company with your telephone number, and it is their responsibility to notify you before delivery. Delivery will be made during normal business hours.

Saia offers a lift gate service for an additional $30 charge when it is ordered through Grizzly items. With this service, they will lower the merchandise to the ground for you at curbside. If you are interested in this service, please ask for further information when you place your order.

At the time of delivery, we ask that you please inspect the packaging for any signs of damage, including dents, tears, or holes. If you see any damage, please make sure to notate that on the paperwork the driver gives you to sign. If exterior damage is not noted, filing a freight claim for any damage to the machine can be difficult.

do all trucks have a lift gate? why pay extra to the freight company, why
    not offer the driver a twenty to help move it or is that unethical???

Not all tractor trailers have lift gates, I had mine delivered to a business, and it was a tractor trailer with no lift gate, they unloaded with a Fork Truck. I got the G1026 shaper, about 350#'s.
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

I had my dust collector shipped in UPS and G0555 Bandsaw in Fedex.
    I paid life gate. The driver drop it where I wanted it to be. It was worth it. Los Angeles, CA.

I had a 12" jointer delivered to Kincardine Ontario (Canada) - I paid $350 including lift gate service. Shipping was by UPS, subcontracted to a local trucking company. No problems with delivery, and the guy put it exactly where I wanted it.
    Hans
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"

Everything that they have sent me was via SAIA. I picked them up a the terminal so I can't comment on the delivery.

What you have to understand is by law a truck driver only has to get your freight to the back of the trailer. But most will help anyway. Because they want to get down the road than watch you a a few friends take two hours to damage your shipment.
    Because of the law you have to be ready to unload it yourself just in case.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale