Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: help with Grizzly freight delivery

1. About two weeks ago i ordered a GO833P table saw; it was delivered within a week and even though i unwrapped it i didn't notice the damage til the drivers were gone. It had been hit and the trunnion was out of it's groove. i finally got it picked up for return last Friday. Today was the day the new saw was scheduled for delivery (5 hour window). Didn't show up now i don't know if it's coming Sat or Mon. For some reason I can't get anything done while I'm waiting. I'm planning on ordering a 72" toolbox next week but am not looking forward to the delivery process. So I've been available for two deliveries and one pickup so far ; tipped $20 and still don't have a saw.

Grizzly customer service has been good though; I took pictures of the damage and they took care of everything else. I'm in Louisville and UPS did the delivery (with liftgate service)

Just got an e-mail. My 623 slider saw shipped the 13th. UPS freight. Hope I have better luck than William. I figure it might arrive on Monday, the 16th, which happens to be my birthday.

Ordered it Sept. 29, and asked them to hold it as long as they could (10 days), so I could sell my old saw. It sold quickly, and a spot is all cleaned up and ready in the shop.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 10-14-2017 at 3:05 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Shipping is a nightmare. The majority of the damage to machines for several years has been irresponsible shipping companies.

I need to ship a 27" iMac computer to Texas and I can't think of a safe way to ship it. The last item I shipped I built a really tough wooden box and UPS ran over it with a forklift and totally destroyed the box and the contents. To make matters worse they refused to pay for the item and would not even refund my shipping fee.

Keith, you insured it for it’s replacement value right?

The delivery trucks/trailers are pretty much all equipped with liftgates, they don't send a different truck if you don't pay for it.

My Oneida dust ape came via UPS freight, no liftgate charge, I have a Bobcat.....met the driver at the road, "I'll get the loader", before I got there with it, he used the liftgate/pallet jack to set everything in the driveway.

Picked up my shaper at the ABF terminal, only a mile from work, figured it was one less truck & chance for it to get damaged. When they called to schedule delivery, told them I'll pick it up.

Ed

I picked my jointer up at the ABF terminal. Used a drop deck trailer from Sunbelt; which made things very easy. I was able to unload it in my driveway by myself. Drivers aren't going to want to use a pallet jack with a 1000lb. machine down my 100' sloping driveway. The next day I had 4 guys help leapfrog it on plywood around the back of my house to the walk out basement. It's amazing what levers and a pallet jack can do.

I've read a few posts in this thread mentioned just rolling the item off of the pallet. How do these items roll off of the pallet? Never received an item this large or via freight so I am guessing I might be in for a bit of an adventure.

Your laugh for today

We need to buy a bathtub so I priced a Kohler K 847-0 (66" x 32" x ~15.5 - cast iron, 400 pounds). It's $3,300 on amazon.ca; $1700 9USD = about $2,370 canabucks) on amazon.com with Free Shipping and a claim that "Ships to Canada". Yeah!! save a thousand bucks right? Sadly, it's not free to Canada as the actual shipping quote was.. .. .. $6,574.25 .

I've received 4 Grizzly deliveries, 2 from Felder, as well as a number of other heavy deliveries when I was in the remodeling business. I've never paid for liftgate service and have never received a heavy delivery from a truck that wasn't equipped with a liftgate. Personally I think paying extra for liftgate service is a scam.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

My 623 Grizzly slider arrived today, after a bit of delay, but it seems to have no damage that I can see. The crate is starting to fall apart, but no apparent hits or falls. I will unwrap it tomorrow.

The driver, 45" trailer truck, parked in the middle of my cul-de-sac, off loaded it with the lift gate, and he and I muscled it up my driveway into the garage using a pallet jack. I tipped him $20 and he said very few people would have helped. He tried to refuse the tip, but my charm won him over.

I have a HF hoist in the garage, I will use to get it unpacked.

Whoopee.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Angry

Apparently, I'm the only one with an issue. Mine (G0691 saw and dust collection) came UPS Freight. Called and made an appointment - between 2 and 5 the Friday before Labor Day, so I took a half day off of work. 5:15 comes, and no truck. Called UPS, oh, there was a problem with the truck, can't deliver, and we'll need to reschedule. Great, no saw setup that long weekend. Told them I'd have to get back with them about delivery as I'd have to take time off work.

So..... Tuesday, I get home late, about 8:30 PM, and find my saw and boxes sitting in the yard at the bottom of my driveway. It had drizzled that day, but luckily the boxes weren't wet. But I did have to drag them up my unpaved driveway (~100 yards) so that nobody picked them up over night... Or the next day.

So... Now I have to take ANOTHER day off to sit and wait for them to come and get it (they're not responsible if I leave it by the road for them to pickup). I wonder if they're responsible if they leave it there when I'm not home and somebody picks it up... ???

Maybe I'm a little too picky, but I paid almost $2000 after shipping for this saw. I want one with no scratches, dents, dings, scrapes, etc...

20170905_204328.jpg
    This is my $1900 saw... Sorry about the picture quality. It was a little dark that night.

20171019_214846.jpg
    This is what the pallet looked like after I took the saw off. I blame Grizzly for the crappy pallet.

I shipped a Jeep windshield frame to Utah one time, and the frame (which I can stand on in the middle and not bend) was bent ~30° - KINKED, actually - during shipping, and they blamed it on my packaging. UPS.

Quote Originally Posted by william walton View Post
    About two weeks ago i ordered a GO833P table saw; it was delivered within a week and even though i unwrapped it i didn't notice the damage til the drivers were gone. It had been hit and the trunnion was out of it's groove. i finally got it picked up for return last Friday. Today was the day the new saw was scheduled for delivery (5 hour window). Didn't show up now i don't know if it's coming Sat or Mon. For some reason I can't get anything done while I'm waiting. I'm planning on ordering a 72" toolbox next week but am not looking forward to the delivery process. So I've been available for two deliveries and one pickup so far ; tipped $20 and still don't have a saw.

Grizzly customer service has been good though; I took pictures of the damage and they took care of everything else. I'm in Louisville and UPS did the delivery (with liftgate service)
    Update: The saw came on Monday after a re-schedule. This time one driver who with my help brought it in to the back and into the garage. No damage this time and he wouldn't accept $20. Still getting around to cleaning it up and checking alignment etc. So far looking great. I didn't put an indicator on it yet, but with feeler gauges the blade to miter slot looks to be out only about .010. Tomorrow I'm meeting another Grizzly delivery of 72" toolbox. Hoping all is well and no damage.

I ordered a Steelex jointer from a dealer on eBay on Tuesday. They emailed after the order was placed and told me that they would be in contact when the item shipped. I hadnt heard anything so yesterday and reached out for an update. They said it can take 2-3 days for the item to ship and a tracking number would be created and sent to me when it did ship.

Fast forward to this morning, I had coincidentally taken the day off, and my doorbell rang at 8:30. It was UPS freight and they had my jointer. Opened my garage and the guy, unprompted, wheeled it right in with a pallet jack.

Zero damage to any of the packing materials. I had seen quite a few pictures of destroyed pallets and boxes and was pleasantly surprised at the well packed and unharmed packaging.

I gave the driver a $20 and he was on his way. Less than a 5 minute ordeal.

Tim that is always what my experiences have been! Glad it arrived and delivered in good shape! May it serve you well!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....