Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • DW735 with In/Out Tables

12 54.55%
  • Steel City 20400H w/Helical Cutter

10 45.45%

Thread: Planer Dilemma

Question Planer Dilemma

OK, so after much reasearch and deliberation, not to mention saving my pennies, I finally made up my mind on ordering the venerable DW735 (with in/out tables of course) when what do I happen to run across? I just looked through the March Issue of Wood Magazine with it's review of lunchbox planers. In it, they reviewed a maching that I had not seen before, the Steel City 40200H which comes standard with a Spiral Cutter. Even then, I was not enticed, because it onl has 26 cutters in what amounts to a single spiral and they are HSS not Carbide. Oh yeah, but then I had to get wild and crazy, I called Steel City. It turns out, that are attachment points for additional cutters to to create a double helix, and they have carbide cutters available.

So now here I am perplexed once again. The two machines are virtually the same price so I cannot even use that as the deciding factor. I am open to any wisdom and guidance that you guys can pass down.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

How did the SC do in the reviews? I have the 735 and am very happy. My only suggestion is if you do a lot of figured woods, the helical cutter is a big plus. Of course, you can get a helix for the 735, but you'll be out some serious bucks. With sharp blades the 735 has glass smooth cuts. Is the SC a 2 speed?

I'm struggling with a similar decision.

Here's what's going through my calculus.
    What kind of wood am I going to be working with, highly figured wood with a lot of grain switching will benefit from a spiral head, and even more from HSS over carbide.
    The Steel City has a smaller feed length, as I recall it was something like 7 inches, the DW735 is something like 13 inches, I believe. IF you're making small stuff, could be important.
    You can, should you want to at a later time, add a Byrd head to the DW735. But, from anecdotal evidence, the initial set of knives with the DW735 aren't that great, so you may doing it sooner than later, and it's a ~$450 upgrade.
    I have a line on a Ridgid 4330 and if I can get it for a decent price, I may be going this route. It also has a Byrd head available for it. So, I'm at nearly the same price point as the Steel City but the cutter head has more cutters.

So...something else to think about.

I went through these thoughts... I have the DW735 and 8" Grizzly jointer... both with knives... I have the byrd spiral cutterhead for the jointer but haven't installed it yet as the stock blades have been great... Both tools have left great surfaces on figured wood for me... very curly maple...

Even if they did result in a little tearout I don't think I'd mind... the planer/jointer are strictly milling tools for me... every board will see either a hand plane or sander afterwards... so unless there's significant tearout I've learned that these tools don't need to much more than square up my lumber...

With respect to the DW735 stock knives... While they do produce a super smooth surface, I believe they are a bit fragile... I've chipped a couple sets of blades (I caught a sale on stock replacement blades)... it seems to happen when I forgot to open the local dust gate... without the chips clearing the blades are vulnerable... I'm considering buying some of the thicker blades out there which I've read may not leave as smooth a surface as the think stock blades... but again, that's a non-issue for me... I'd rather have durability.

I don't see why you guys would invest $450.00 extra in a lunch box planer. Get a real machine unless you haven't the space.

The planer still has a light duty motor,like a vacuum cleaner. How long can it last? The other parts are light also.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I don't see why you guys would invest $450.00 extra in a lunch box planer. Get a real machine unless you haven't the space.

The planer still has a light duty motor,like a vacuum cleaner. How long can it last? The other parts are light also.
    I have to agree. Given a 15" planer is less than $1100 shipped it is the price of the Dewalt & a Byrd, albeit the 15" comes with straight knives but when you do upgrade it you can expect to have it for a lifetime. If one doesn't have the space then that is an entirely different matter!

Between the DW and the SC if it were me I would go with the proven machine. I don't like buying any durable good until it has a good track record, I like to be able to balance what it will do with a decent idea what might happen. Sorta like balancing a Car & Driver review with Consumer Reports, it may be a great value and a wonderful drivers car but if the transmissions have a fatal fault then I don't want it.

Jonathan - you can get the CS cutterhead for the ridgid planer from accu-head.com for quite a bit less. I have no affiliation with them, but I'm considering that as an upgrade because the sets of knives I've gone through haven't done as well as I would have liked on hard maple.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I have to agree. Given a 15" planer is less than $1100 shipped it is the price of the Dewalt & a Byrd, albeit the 15" comes with straight knives but when you do upgrade it you can expect to have it for a lifetime. If one doesn't have the space then that is an entirely different matter!
    Because you said it. A lunchbox is 600 and a real planer is 1100. A 735 with a helix, you can pay for it in 2 installments. Upgrade. Much less painful. Unless you got the big score (stealth gloat) and got a 735 for $279. That makes the 735 + Byrd 700 bucks. I'm not saying the 735 even remotely compares to a real planer, but for half the price, it is a good question.

I bought a DW735 for $400, with outfeed tables, on CL. Bought another one for $350 with outfeed tables and sitting on a great shop-built rolling cart with nice casters. Sold one for $450. Ended up with DW735 w/ outfeed tables on rolling cart for $300 thusly.

I like the finish the machine gives very much, and I get no snipe at all. Additionally, the built in dust ejection on the machine is great, you can use it without a DC if needed. I would have been satisfied with that for 99% of what I need it for-- glue ups for frame/panel doors mostly.

But I like to shop Craigs List a lot. Last month I got this:
    Powermatic 20” Planer (PM208) w/ Bryd Shelix cutterhead: $1000

Now I'll sell the DW735 for $450 or so, and end up after profit with a 20" planer for $850, and free use of DW735 for 4 years.

Haven't used the planer yet... However, now that my horizon on planers has expanded above the 735 13.5", I do see that there are constantly 15" floor standing planers on CL for $700-$1000, if you're at all thinking about this size, then I'd bypass the lunchbox.

But if you get one, buy the DW735.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

I went through this about 8 months ago. Really wanted a 20 inch machine but with only bulkhead access it was not going to happen. I bought the SC 13 inch planer and I have been very happy with it. Produces a smooth finish and has plenty of power for most hobbyist 's needs. So far, I have run about 250 bf of cherry, walnut & maple including curly cherry and curly maple. I would not hesitate to recommend this planer as I would buy it again.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post

I think George is on to something. I was considering the 735 (actually passed up on a used one long ago for $300!!!!), but ended up with the 734. If/when I need a big boy, I will go all the way. For now, the 734 is fine for me in my home shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    I just looked through the March Issue of Wood Magazine with it's review of lunchbox planers. In it, they reviewed a maching that I had not seen before, the Steel City 40200H which comes standard with a Spiral Cutter.
    I use magazine reviews as a reference only. They rate a tool higher because the company paid them to. (I really believe that).
    Stay with the DeWalt and put a Shelix head on it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night