Thread: Quality of AO Smith motors?

Quality of AO Smith motors?

I'm still shopping around for a jointer motor. My local repair shop suggested AO Smith for a better value, since I am a weekend warrior and not running the jointer all day every day.

Anyone have these motors and completely disappointed with them? Or are they truly a good value?

I'd love to get a Leeson motor, found a great price online, but shipping is a burden. My local guy said straight out that he wouldn't be able to compete with the online prices.

Check out Baldor motors. I get mine from Grainger but I think most motor dealers carry the brand.
    Regarding the price the local guy quoted, How does it compare with the internet price including shipping?

Ooops...just noted your location. Grainger may not be an option for you.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

AO Smith is a well known motor manufacturer. I primarily deal with pump, and fan motors but by AO Smith. I wouldn't have any reservations about using an AO Smith motor

ao smith

They are good motors. I have several of them on a grain drying setup. Jared

Just an FYI when buying a motor:

I've been reading again, one of the books talking about dust collector motors mentioned motor wiring classes. You want to check on this and get at least a "B" class, "F" class is the best, "A" is the lowest. If the motor isn't rated, don't waste your money.

I just bought a new Grizzly TEFC motor on Amazon.com for my bandsaw. Seems to be of decent quality and the price was certainly right. For light to moderate home-shop use, you probably can't beat it.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hallam View Post
    I'm still shopping around for a jointer motor. My local repair shop suggested AO Smith for a better value, since I am a weekend warrior and not running the jointer all day every day.

Anyone have these motors and completely disappointed with them? Or are they truly a good value?

I'd love to get a Leeson motor, found a great price online, but shipping is a burden. My local guy said straight out that he wouldn't be able to compete with the online prices.

How bout CList? You could probably by a good motor for short money.

I've had pretty good luck at flea markets also.

A O Smith are good motors.

Thanks guys, sounds like it might be worth it. Still doing some cost comparisons. Amazon.com is a no go for me. They don't sell the good stuff to Canadians

Craigslist is barely used in my area. People seem to favor Kijiji which I have been checking routinely.

just a thought, sometimes it is easier to buy a used tool with the motor in it that you need and then take the motor out and put it in your jointer.

As I stated, just a thought.

I have a 2hp leeson on my dust collector and i most definitely would hate to pay for shipping on that thing...
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Haha... Karl are you trying to get me divorced?

"See honey, its simple, see in order to finish rebuilding this jointer, I have to buy a planer/lathe/..."

That would get me the 'snake eyes' for sure.

On the up side, I have a good lead on two Leeson motors. There is a $50 difference between the general purpose motor and the "farm duty" motor (which has insulation class H) and a higher efficiency (79% vs. 72%).

What are the real differences between "farm duty" and general purpose?????