Thread: Delta DJ -20/ table adjustments

Blog Entries

Delta DJ -20/ table adjustments

I have an old Delta DJ-20 Jointer. I'm guessing its around 15-20 years old. I placed a 48" straight edge across the top starting near the endof the outfeed table.The outfeedtable is perfectly flat. There is a dip of .007 from the beginning of the in feed table closest to the cutterhead for about 8''. How do I correct this distortion on this machine? I cant get a manual that's old enough for it

I'm not quite clear what you are trying to do? Are you saying that the infeed table isn't flat, or just that it isn't parallel with the outfeed table?

I don't think the manual would have changed much if any over time.

Blog Entries
    parallel.The manualIhave doesn't even address this issue.I know some jointers have adjusting screws ,but i dont see a simple way on this machine.

Mark,

First, confirm that both the infeed and outfeed tables are flat (<0.008" variation on them).

Then, if you find the are not coplaner, you need to adjust the eccentric bushings that support the table.

On each table, there are four of these bushings (one on each corner) - they are the ~1" dia round metal discs that a spanner wrench will fit. Above or to the side of each of these, there is a hole for a set screw. Remove the set screw, then REMOVE A SECOND SET SCREW HIDDEN BENEATH THE FIRST, then turn the bushing with a spanner wrench. It will raise that corner of the table up or down.

The DJ-20 manual has an excellent description of this procedure. I would try to find an electronic copy of it (I know I found it at one time - it is definitely available).

This may sound difficult, but is actually very easy to do once you figure out what's going on. It won't take you more than an hour to get it nearly perfect.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Dan.I saw those metal disks but did not know how to adjust them .I will purchase the spanner wrench aand attempt it. I will update youon my progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    I have an old Delta DJ-20 Jointer. I'm guessing its around 15-20 years old. I placed a 48" straight edge across the top starting near the endof the outfeed table.The outfeedtable is perfectly flat. There is a dip of .007 from the beginning of the in feed table closest to the cutterhead for about 8''. How do I correct this distortion on this machine? I cant get a manual that's old enough for it
    .007 inches is about 1/5 the thickness of a dime. If it were me, I wouldn't spend the time trying to correct it.. You might spend an entire day adjusting, only to realize that it's set as good as it's going to get.
    I don't know the spec for the table, but I can't imagine that the current setting would cause you trouble. Remember, this is just woodworking..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Johnstone View Post
    .007 inches is about 1/5 the thickness of a dime. If it were me, I wouldn't spend the time trying to correct it.. You might spend an entire day adjusting, only to realize that it's set as good as it's going to get.
    I don't know the spec for the table, but I can't imagine that the current setting would cause you trouble. Remember, this is just woodworking..
    Paul,
    I was wondering about that myself. The reason I got into this is I'm having a lot of trouble installing a new set of knives and I was wondering if the problemwas in part related to the former issue.

Paul, it may be only 0.007" right at the cutterhead, but the table could be tilted upwards so that the error is much greater at the far end.

Mark - here's the document I found explaining how to adjust the tables.
    http://media.ptg-online.com/media/dm...145450_J05.pdf

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    Paul,
    I was wondering about that myself. The reason I got into this is I'm having a lot of trouble installing a new set of knives and I was wondering if the problemwas in part related to the former issue.

I have a DJ-20.

FWIW, I've never checked how coplanar the in and outfeed tables are. I do know it produces excellent results. And technically the fence appears to be not totally flat either. Yet, the amount that it may be "off" also appears to be irrelevant since the workpiece comes off flat and square.

Now, what kind of knife changing problems are you experiencing? I change mine in a total time of about an hour. I just work slowly and carefully so I don't miss or forget anything in the process. I also don't use any gaging to set them beyond simply using my 12" steel rule to find TDC. There's just a tiny "snick" when I'm settin' er up. Just loosen the screws, pull the knife out, put the new knife (or resharpend old one) back in and I'm good to go.

And last, I just couldn't be happier with this jointer. In terms of big machines for a hobbyist, this one is great. I bought mine new about 8 years ago. It was quite the production getting into my basement shop.

Blog Entries
    You may find the Grizzly G0490 manual to be very helpful. Look starting on page 40 here : http://cdn7.grizzly.com/manuals/g0490_m.pdf
    Adjusting for coplaner does not correct dips in the castings though so depending on my understanding of the problem, the manual may or may not help.
    The G0490 is basically a DJ-20 with more ponies and a magnetic switch ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-16-2010 at 12:55 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Your request is timely as I am changing out the original cutter head on my older DJ-20 to a Byrd Shelix.

In the Grizzly online catalogue Page 48, the 8" H8803 Byrd Shelix is listed as fitting the DJ-20 and the Grizzly G0490 so I would assume the bearings would be the same as found on the Grizzly. One can google the Grizzly and get the manual that lists the bearings in the exploded parts section.

The front one is indicated as a 6004 - 2RS while the back one is a 6005 - 2RS. I have not physically viewed the rear one as I don't have it out yet but the front one seems to agree with the etching in the outer race.

What appears in the etching is 5004 - 2RS1 but the 5 looks funny and is probably a 6 as I can find no reference to a 5004 - 2RS1 on the internet. The 6004 - 2RS does show up and is listed as being 20x42x12. The 6005 - 2RS shows up as well and is listed 25x47x12.

Hope this helps.

The DJ 20 is a pretty nice jointer but the tables are not ground perfectly flat. It is also common for the tables near the cutterhead to droop towards the head. The table inserts seem to contribute to the problem. When setting knives it is best to reference to the tables behind the insert and when jointing to keep pressure back on the tables and not near or over the cutter at the ends. That minimizes the effects of the droop right in front of the blades. The eccentric disks will move with a screwdriver if the set screws are released. No special tool is needed as the adjustments are slight. Dave

Send the jointer to me and I'll have it properly destroyed so nobody get hurt.