Thread: Harbor Freight HVLP

Harbor Freight HVLP

Since I don't build stuff for the mesquite outfit anymore, it might be awkward for me to help myself to the high dollar spray rig...so I figured the HF cheep setup was worth a $69 tryout. Surprise...the sale price was $49.

Anyhoo, the 2 quart pressure pot looks very similar to one I've seen on a rig purchased from Homestead...but this one has some kind of telflon like coating inside...and lacquer thinner makes a big black mess on the outside when cleaning up...so no telling what kind of 'metal' it is. The setup comes with the pot w/regulator, two rubber noses, and the gun. No separate regulator on the gun.

Instructions plainly say 'not recommended for lacquer based products', but it worked quite well. I would've liked a regulator at the gun, because the air is just too much...but it'll lay the material on, and the material flow knob actually seems to function. I'm spoiled from using the Asturo gun, but this one will work in a pinch...for something around $600 less.

KC

Hi Kirk,

What is the part number? Was this at a store or online?

If you go to an autobody place you should be able to get a regulator to put on the gun. I was looking at spraygun world at about $250 for a simular set up from Astro (not Asturo).
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

I've been very pleased with the Wagner gun (review on my site)...for $129, it's a great tool and very comfortable in the hand. I do plan on getting the external 2 qt pot to make it easier to get the gun into tight quarters.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This is more of a question for Jim; I just received mine last week and was wondering what type of finish is or isn't recommended to spray and what kind of consistency. As for the gun air pressure and source pressure where should they be set?

David, I wouldn't recommend trying to spray latex paint with an HVLP conversion gun unless you get a much larger projector set. Otherwise, most finishes designed for spraying as well as thinned oil-based products will work fine. I only use water bourne finishes normally, but have sprayed thinned Rustoeum with my gun with great results.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley
    Hi Kirk,

What is the part number? Was this at a store or online?

If you go to an autobody place you should be able to get a regulator to put on the gun. I was looking at spraygun world at about $250 for a simular set up from Astro (not Asturo).
    I got it in the store...they have two units with remote pots...one around $70, one over $100. I think both these are online...I looked there before driving to the store. I don't know of putting a regulator at the gun will help...it's still gonna be the same 'quality' gun, just with less air. I can cut the air way down to the pot and it still sprays, just sprays wetter. But like I said, for $49....

KC

Jim,

I read your review on your web page but didn't see the air pressure and volume requirements for the Wagner. Would you happen to know what they are?

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Collison
    I read your review on your web page but didn't see the air pressure and volume requirements for the Wagner. Would you happen to know what they are?
    The gun is very forgiving...some folks report using it successfully with very small compressors. Before I got the 60 gallon IR that's in my shop right now, I was using a 20 gallon compressor. The specs should be in the manual available via a link at the bottom of this page.
    --

I just checked it out, hardly takes anything to operate it. Thanks...

Gene

KC:

Since you don't build for the mesquite (sp?) outfit anymore - are running your own shop full time now or part-time with a "regular" day job? Just curious. Did doing WW full time take the fun out of it? Thanks.

Duane

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Pulliam
    KC:

Since you don't build for the mesquite (sp?) outfit anymore - are running your own shop full time now or part-time with a "regular" day job? Just curious. Did doing WW full time take the fun out of it? Thanks.

Duane
    Yes, I'm still WW part-time, along with my 'real' job at night. The answer to the question about 'taking the fun out of it' is complicated by special circumstances...but the bottom line is yes.

KC