Thread: Need a Food Safe finish for Santos Rosewood

Need a Food Safe finish for Santos Rosewood

I am ready to the finishing the Santos Rosewood handles that I made for a barbeque tool set. I tested pure tongue oil on a scrap piece of the rosewood and it is too dark for my liking. Any suggestions for an alternative food safe finish? Has anyone ever tried mineral oil? I am appreciative of any any all suggestions!!

Bill

Mineral oil works great on cutting boards. I don't know why it would do on handles. Apply generously, let it penetrate, and wipe it off. Shouldn't make it too dark IMHO. Reapply as needed.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

All finishes made in the USA since 1978 are "food safe" once fully cured. Finishes that contained LEAD where the problem. Paint from China would be the only finish I know about that still contains lead...

Oils and waxes provide virtually no protection... a quality NON-poly varnish would be better.

Shellac
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Interestingly enough, it's not the Chinese regulations that are the fault, it is the enforcement. Their rules are, theoretically, tighter than in the US. It's just that they don't have the civil court system to keep manufacturer's routinely honest. Though, when someone does get caught causing injuries, such as someone caught selling tainted milk to schools, they might get the death penalty.

I should point out it is only clear finishes that we can be sure are food safe when cured, there are still some pigments that may not pass muster, though none with the dangers of lead.

Steve,

Thank you for the additional info...
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

yeah, and while officially food safe i would be leery of the ones that contain plastic resins, even though i use those on other things, i wouldn't use them on a meat block.

i would prefer natural finishes (shellac, natural resin varnishes) for kitchen countertops and foot cutting blocks and such.

they should bring back lead house paint and get rid of chinese toys, then everyone would be happier .

I prefer cold pressed walnut oil. It seems to be the only edible oil that actually dries, so it won't get rancid. It also seems to hold up better than mineral oil.