Thread: 12 pt 22 in cc skewback Keen Kutter 88 saw

12 pt 22 in cc skewback Keen Kutter 88 saw

OK, what kind of saw do I have? Bob Smalser seems to think they're well made with Disston #16 handles and maybe a Peace's blades. I don't know much about Peace. One of the nuts is missing and so is the medallion. Are the nuts and medallions Keen Kutter or Disston? Where can I get the correct age replacements? The handle needs some repair, but that is easy enough. The nice and straight blade needs cleaning (doesn't seem to have much rust) and sharpening. All I want is a user, but an older, authentic, "hey, look what I got" one.
    Last edited by rick carpenter; 07-19-2010 at 11:31 PM.

I've done an informal survey of saws and found the full-size 26 inch K-88 Keen Kutter skewback to be a really good saw, but I can't tell who made it. It's a kind of unusual shape but has a nice hang, plenty of heft, and is well tapered. As I recall, the fancy typeface resembled Atkins, but there was no nickel plate finish as with many of Atkins's other saws. It also doesn't resemble any of the saw plates of theirs that I know about. The Disston No. 16 was never offered in an alternative skewback pattern, but the No. 12 was, as the No. 112. It's entirely possible that it's a No. 112 with a No. 16 style handle. I think it highly improbable that it would be a D-8; the plate on those was not as thin at the toe, and the D-8 has a slight "kink" in the skew. The other possibility is that it is a Simonds. There's less information on them, but they made some really good saws too. Maybe a #10 1/2 or a #72 with a different handle.

Sounds like you've got a smaller panel-size saw, nice for having around the bench for small jobs that a back saw can't do.

Thanks for the info, Jonathan. It has a Disston No 16 three nut + medallion handle, but not a Disston plate. Though I haven't finished cleaning it yet, it definitely says "No. 88". I'm sure not finding near as much detailed info about Keen Kutter, Simonds, and Simmons as is available for Disston.

I like the smaller saws, they fit better traveling!

rick,
    measure the diameter of the medallion hole and photograph the hardware that's there- i've got half a dozen KK "donor" saws and i think i can find something for you if you'd like.