Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8-12-18-24....

8-12-18-24....

Well my pepper mill herd is complete.

I can get 4 sizes of the guts for the mills at our local LV.
    The 8", 12" and 18" could be done on my 3520B as it came.
    But I needed to get the 18" bed extension to do the 24". And a bit with an extension to bore at least 10"
    I also thought a bowl steady would be needed as I have never bored holes in a chunk of wood that deep on a lathe.
    Didn't end up using the bowl steady as the blanks behaved better than I thought they would.
    And I was quite surprised at how close the holes met in the middle.

So to do the 24" mill it cost me about $800.00.
    Up side is the next one will only be $400.00...

IMG_0570.jpg
    8", 12", 18", 24"

Hope everyone has a little shop time this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    Well my pepper mill herd is complete.

I can get 4 sizes of the guts for the mills at our local LV.
    The 8", 12" and 18" could be done on my 3520B as it came.
    But I needed to get the 18" bed extension to do the 24". And a bit with an extension to bore at least 10"
    I also thought a bowl steady would be needed as I have never bored holes in a chunk of wood that deep on a lathe.
    Didn't end up using the bowl steady as the blanks behaved better than I thought they would.
    And I was quite surprised at how close the holes met in the middle.

So to do the 24" mill it cost me about $800.00.
    Up side is the next one will only be $400.00...

IMG_0570.jpg
    8", 12", 18", 24"

Hope everyone has a little shop time this weekend.
    Gary just don't try to take these along in your hand luggage at your next flight

Quite the works, and looking good
    Have fun and take care

Gary, this "stairstep" project really came together well! Love the set, and you did a great job on them. And, with such little investment!!

Thanks Leo and John.

John, as you know every time I do these little upgrades in my shop Geri gets a piece of furniture or a project done for our home. This time it looks like a cherry hutch is on the "to do" list for her kitchen..

gary...they are worth every penny!!!

Nicely done. Sounds like a pretty good deal you've worked out with the boss... new tool=new furniture.

I love those extra long pepper grinders. It's always fun in restaurants when your server (who has already introduced himself and proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, his ability to be effusive) comes to the table and, in a revoltingly pleasant voice asks, "Fresh ground pepper....?" and then reaches all the way across the table with his "extra long reach" grinders to expertly pepper your salad. Scheech. Oh, what? You don't give a hoot about that? You just want some feedback on your work? OK. Those are some nice grinders. I like the way the shape elongates as the height of the grinders increases. Maybe that waiter should come to the table with a whole set like that. Then he could make a big deal out of selecting the correct one based on the distance to the next plate... oops sorry, there I go again...
    David DeCristoforo

Nice. I'm bummed to hear the 3520 can't handle a 24" peppermill... I've been discounting the 42" on the Jet as not needed while looking at lathes, but since I'm most interested in making bagpipes, I'll need to re-look at that.

Good looking set of grinders.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Nice mills Gary!

Dave, that 42" sure makes a handy place to park the tailstock out of the way when not needed.
    Richard in Wimberley

Nice job on the mills, Gary. Wish I was getting some shop time.

Gary, who's headed out to the pool to get pummeled by 10 year olds.

Again.

Dang sleep overs...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Very nice...

Which mechanisms did you use for the grinders?
    I have a signature too...

Nice set of grinders

I have bought a few bags of guts now, but have yet to put one together! Lots of other things taking up my time. I am up early today and my back is killing me so I may need some lazy boy and ice pack time before I get anything done today.

The tall ones look like a lot of fun to make, I will have to finish my bed extention for the 3520 one of these days to see if I can make a 3' tall one!

Have fun,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Those are really nice Gary. Worth every penny for sure.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice. I just did my first 8" one other day. I love the idea of a giant 15 pound 24" pepper mill.
    Not allowed

Thanks again for the comments..
    Moshe the guts were bought from LV sorry I don't know what kind they are.
    And Jeff, a 3 footer. Sweet! Where do you get the mechanisms that long?