Thread: Need a Flatting/Deglossing Agent

Need a Flatting/Deglossing Agent

I am trying to find a source of flatting agent.

I did the usual and ran by the retail outlets. I also looked at online sources. I was not able to find what I remember using 20 years ago.

Who makes flatting agents and sells them on the web or by phone/mail? This was once a standard finishing product. Now I get blank looks when I ask for it. I am out on the Oregon coast. People work mostly softwoods and do mostly - well - kind of brutal work out here. I need a way to order it up without driving to California or something. Fine Federal style work is unknown here, much less the finishing technology behind the sheen.

Is there a new name or something? People must be knocking sheen down somehow.

New guy here. Please - If this question is somehow out of bounds, just let me know. I am not a bad guy.

What finish are you wanting to flatten?
    What are you finishing?

Most varnishes come as satin, semi gloss, or gloss. Shellac can be flattened with a product called Shellac Flat. Little 2 oz bottle goes a long long way.

You can also rub out most any gloss finish to dead flat, flat, satin, etc.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I am finishing loads of case work. It is a 6 layer finish with the top coat being a built-up oil modified polyurethane. 2 under layers are gloss (of course). The top layer is commercial mixed "satin."

It needs to be significantly more flat. Years ago we could buy a SiO2 suspention that worked great. Today, all I can find is a Pettit product. Unfortunetly, Pettit uses modified alkyd base resins in their products. I am afraid to use somethig formulated for such.

So basically, do you know of a source of silcone oxide flatting compounds (called agents, pastes, sometimes deglossers (which gets confused with certain poorly labled strippers))?

This will get expensive, but it may work. Buy a bunch of the satin varnish you like, and don't stir it. Pour off the top of each can, leaving the portion with most of the flattener. That's your flat finish. Perhaps you can use the poured-off portion on some future project that wants semi-gloss.

I like it. I think it will work. Simple old school stuff.

Still guys - does anyone know of a source of silicone oxide flatting agent?

Our world can not have changed so much. Someone must be selling this stuff somewhere.

A quick search on Google pulled up a bunch of products...

"silicone oxide flatting agent" in google
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

We used to use an Interlux Flatting agent. It was usable in any oil based varnish, poly varnish or lacquer.

BTW, polyurethane resin varnishes and alkyd based varnishes are fully compatable. The "oil modified" is just marketing gobblygook for an oil based varnish.
    Howie.........