Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Sideboard

Walnut Sideboard

This is a commissioned walnut sideboard with macassar ebony handles. The legs and aprons are joined with mortise and tenon joints, and the drawers are made with handcut dovetails. I used an oil and precat urethane finish on all of it. Please ask any questions and give any critique you have. Thanks.

Matt, that is gorgeous. I really like the craftsmanship and the way the shelves adjust. Is it just me or is the back wider than the front? If so I really like that detail as well. If not, then you got me screwed with the camera angle
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Unique shape using some beautiful wood. Quality work!

This is a very unique design. The joinery of the side panels is something I've never seen before. Well done. It looks great!

Great work Matt.
    The two panels on the doors really set it off.

Beautiful!
    I am assuming this is of your own design?
    Great work.

Very nice design elements!! Love the grain match on the door panels, the flare to the footprint, and the walnut, of course. Great job!

what critique?

It seems perfect to me. I also admire the matching panels on the doors. the thing about walnut is that is varies so much - much more than oak or cherry it seems to me. To get something looking as nice as this work - I can only imagine the challenge.

Really fine woodworking there. And nice touch on the adjustable shelf method.

And that picture above of John Keeton and Dolly.

Very Cool design.

When you do a custom job for someone, how does the process work for you to get to a finished design the customer wants.

Do they typically come in with some pictures of what they generally want, and then you work forward from there? Do you do all hand sketches, or do you use sketchup to show a 3d model of the piece for the client to view?

That is a very unique design. I like the taper towards the front and the offsetting of the legs. How much taper do you have on the top? (how wide is the front of the top vs the back of the top.

A good picture of the top woodgrain would be nice to see.

I especially like the adjustable shelf mechanism, very effective, simple, and elegant.

Are the doors scissor hinged?
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Thanks for the comments, questions, and critiques. I got to spend some much needed time with my lovely bride tonight instead of answering questions. I'll hopefully get to answer them tomorrow.

Joe, yes, the back is definitely wider than the front.

Irvin, this is my own design.

Alex, sometimes the client will know exactly what he/she wants and will even communicate it with pictures. Other times, as with this client, I'm supposed to come up with every thing. She just showed me a space in her house, said she wanted more than just a table in that space, and wanted dark wood. So I took out my high-tech pencil, architect's scale, and paper and got to work with drawing this. She liked every detail except she wanted a large radius on the front of the top. It was quite easy working with her.

The back of the top is 73 1/2", and the front is 63".

I used Soss invisible hinges for the doors.

Very nice work....Walnut is a favorite of mine also...
    Jerry

Wow...that is a wonderful piece. Great job with using the walnut to best advantage with grain/figure, too. It really "makes" the piece.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Outstanding !!

Top shelf !!
    MARK