Thread: Pear Shapes

Pear Shapes

A friend of my wife finally convinced her husband to cut down an aged and diseased pear tree in their back yard. As usual my wife cleverly mentioned that I am a turner and could help dispose of the offending tree. There was still some good wood in the tree, so I’m working on “form” again, practicing to make four small vases (not shown) for the woman’s four adult daughters who used to play in the tree as children. Also need more practice before starting on a piece of Vicki Jordan’s maple tree. Still missing the mark. “Artistic eyeball” needs further calibration.

Both about 6” tall, no finish yet. C. & C. welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Richard in Wimberley

I'd suggest smaller feet or more belly as the next thing to aim for.

Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

Richard - I like the shape on the right and the wood is beautiful. Has a nice warm look to it.

The one on the right is the better of the two for body form, but I like the smaller lip on the other one. The one on the left looks like it is cut off on the bottom and should have been taller (or is setting in a hole). It seems too blocky (is that a word?).
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Richard they look pretty good. I would go with a smaller base tapering down to it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

You've gotten some good advice as to form! Looking forward to seeing the four you are going to turn for the daughters!

Have fun! Sure is some pretty wood!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    Richard, that artistic Eye is coming along, a click or two and you'll have it. I agree with the majority bout the one on the right my favorite too. A little more taper and it'll work just fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Sounds like a fun project. I agree with what the others have suggested... A more tapered form might be interesting. Looking forward to seeing the finished group.

Richard...if you feel that you need more form to your pieces...try this little exercise. When you've reached the point where you feel that you've acheived what you want in the outer profile, take a picture of it while it's still on the lathe. Then get on your computer real quick and rotate your picture 90 degrees, and you will "see" it better.

These pieces remind me of the ones I did a few years ago, and it always seemed like they looked fine horizontal....but when I parted them off, I was dissatisfied with them vertical. I really had to force myself to keep cutting.

But really...they are cool pieces...and for a cool idea.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I will agree with the others on a smaller base, BUT, since you entitled your thread "pear shapes" that advice wouldn't get you anywhere close to a pear. You might consider going to the store and purchasing a good looking pear to copy. It might be more of a reminder of the tree they once climbed on. And you could eat it when done.

Thanks everyone for your comments, and I mostly agree. Good idea John, and thanks. That's exactly what happens. Baxter, they are pear wood.
    Richard in Wimberley

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    ... take a picture of it while it's still on the lathe. Then get on your computer real quick and rotate your picture 90 degrees, and you will "see" it better.
    Or you could just turn the camera 90 degrees.

The other thing I do sometimes is take the piece off while still in the chuck and stand it up for studying... That works better for me than turning my head 90 degrees.

Well, I look at 'em like this: I've seen pears that were shaped like both, somewhat.
    If you're wanting pear - shapes... I think you've got it.
    If your just doing "shapes - from pear", I'd probably make the bottoms smaller, and attempt to make sure there weren't any flats in the curves.
    Beautiful wood, and I also like the one on the right the most. I like it's top better than the other one and the way the bottom curve gives 'lift' to the piece. I think you've done well.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Thanks Allen. There are no flats on the curves, and/but agree that the left one is definitely funky in some respects. Guess I better just call them "pear wood turnings".

David, in the past have indeed tried removing the chuck to look at a piece vertically. It sorta works. Just need to make the bottoms "way too small" and they will be about right.
    Richard in Wimberley