Thread: Exterior Sign suggestions and assistance requested.

Exterior Sign suggestions and assistance requested.

I have been concentrating on interior signage but now have the opportunity to bid on a sizeable exterior sign job.

My customer is looking for yellow signs with black lettering that will be approximately 28 inches tall by 50 inches wide.

Can you suggest possible materials and approximate pricing to charge for these? They will be mounted near a lake in Michigan so 4 season weather will be an issue.

Thank you very much in advance for any and all suggestions.

Street Sign Vinyl.... with Electro Cut translucent overlay in yellow.

AL

Gimco.com

Or sub it...
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Prepainted yellow aluminum substrate, black 8-10 year life vinyl.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Depends on your available materials, equipment and experience.

I would paint that on aluminum in a heartbeat.

I know all the new guys are using vinyl now. But, automotive acrylic will last twenty years or more (Imron will last even longer) and you cut the stencil on the same equipment or by hand.

You don't mention how much copy is involved, is it just a few words or dozens?
    That is probably the largest impact on pricing after materials.

Additional input for question

Each sign will have approximately 35 letters and or numbers.

Normally I too would advocate premium vinyl lettering on pre-painted aluminum or dibond. Given the location, though, near a Lake in Michigan, I would warn that vinyl lettering will literally fall off of aluminum signs when snow sits on it over a period of time, as little as a week. If snowdrifts are likely to stay in contact with it then I would suggest
    another method. Depending on the budget and purpose of the sign, a routed or sandblasted wood sign might be appropriate for that setting.
    By the colors though, I'm guessing warning or directional rather than
    resort identification sign?

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

It's been over twenty years since I was in the sign business. I'm not up on current pricing for materials. But if your client can afford 1/4 inch thick aluminum blanks and you have the vinyl cutter or can get the stencils cut for a fair price then spraying Catalyst-Poly like Imron would be the best quality and longest lasting short of some back coated plastic face.

Just guessing out of the blue I say $200 for the blank, $100 for paint and $70 each for stencils. Add your labor of about 2 hours each and what ever your overhead adds up to. If you hand cut the letters say two hours each instead of the $70.

Am I way off?

Color-Core.

Comes in 1/4" or 1/2" thick sheets and is suitable for the most extreme conditions including marine applications. Routes like butter and there is no painting required.

Keith, I heard somewhere that lead times on King Color-Core are really long and erratic right now. May want to check closely on that one.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Larry,

Three to four weeks is the expected wait time for color-core. I ordered two sheets a long time before I needed them.

I just learned from another internet source that Rowmark "Heavyweights" -1/2" and 1/4" thicknesses is in fact Color-Core. I knew from conversation with King that they make some stuff for Rowmark, but didn't know any specifics. This will be handy when you need some but don't want to order a big ole expensive 4x8 sheet and pay shipping.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation