Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Wear Your Seat Belt?

Blog Entries

Do You Wear Your Seat Belt?

It seems there is still about 16% of the population that still does not wear their seat belt.

This video:

http://www.alexandercommercials.co.uk/

is thought by many to be the most beautiful video to advocate the use of seat belts. It is being sent to friends by people all around the world.

Maybe a friend of yours should see it.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The answer to the question "ALWAYS"!

Saw that several weeks ago. I am the regions safety representative for my employer. I sent it to the Zone level and to my children. It says it all.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-21-2010 at 2:58 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The first car that I ever saw that had factory seat belts (lap belts) was a '56 Ford Fairlane. By law, they were optional.
    When they became mandatory (whenever that was), I buckled up and have never stopped using them.
    It has always amazed me the number of people who by-pass the alarms, pull them out and hold them so it looks like they are being used (should the local police see you), etc. etc.
    Why not just make it a habit to just buckle the darn thing when you get in the car? Who knows, it might become handy in a wreck.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Winship View Post
    It has always amazed me the number of people who by-pass the alarms, pull them out and hold them so it looks like they are being used ...
    What amazes me are the countless numbers of people I see who

1. get in their car
    2. start their car
    3. put their car in drive and start rolling
    4. THEN start fiddling with putting on their seatbelt as they roll through the parking lot or out of the driveway.

My seatbelt gets put on before the key goes in the ignition.
    "It's Not About You."

I started wearing them full time when I got a job on a military installation 27 years ago. It’s become so automatic that I feel naked without them.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Winship View Post
    Why not just make it a habit to just buckle the darn thing when you get in the car?
    Yep. I insisted to myself that I would *never* forget to put it on when I first got my learner's permit. Now it's such a habit, I feel like I've done something terribly wrong if I omit to put it on when moving the car from the garage to the driveway.

My uncle was a fireman and drove the rescue squad. Saw lots of nasty pictures and heard lots of nasty stories. I definitely wear my seatbelt and won't make the car move unless all the passengers are belted in too. Having said this I don't think people should be getting tickets for not wearing them. If they want to splatter, let them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    What amazes me are the countless numbers of people I see who

1. get in their car
    2. start their car
    3. put their car in drive and start rolling
    4. THEN start fiddling with putting on their seatbelt as they roll through the parking lot or out of the driveway.

My seatbelt gets put on before the key goes in the ignition.
    It drives my wife nuts that I will often not start the car until all the doors are closed and seat belts are buckled. She wants me to start the car right away so she can roll down the windows, they are electric. I can live with the closed in air for a few seconds, she has issues with this.

I have even found my self buckling the belts when I am just getting in the car to look for something in the glove box. This gets a laugh from the wife when I try to get out without unbuckling.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Having said this I don't think people should be getting tickets for not wearing them. If they want to splatter, let them.
    The personal outcome could be a personal decision. The outcome of what it does to the first responders and our medical system is not personal.

If people could carry an opt out card things might be different. So if they did become seriously injured because they chose not to buckle up or wear a helmet they could just be driven to the hospital for organ harvesting instead of draining their own or public insurance.

I do not know many people who would carry an opt out card.

jim

Back in the early 60's seat belts were required on all civilian vehicles entering military bases so I had to install seat belts in my personal car and have been wearing them since. I will not start my car if anyone in it hasn't fastened their sea belt.
    While working in the media we interviewed several California Highway Patrolmen about the importance of seat belts, they all agreed that approximately 75% of highway fatalities were due to the lack of wearing seat belts.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It seems there is still about 16% of the population that still does not wear their seat belt.

This video:

http://www.alexandercommercials.co.uk/

is thought by many to be the most beautiful video to advocate the use of seat belts. It is being sent to friends by people all around the world.

Maybe a friend of yours should see it.

jim
    Yes...all the time as it is the law where i live. That said some still refuse to use it.

Blog Entries
    I had a rollover accident in the 60s and if I had been wearing a seatbelt I would have been much more seriously injured or possibly killed. Having said that, I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt and actually feel weird without it. That one incident may have ended different, but the other 999,999 times the seatbelt will probalby save you.

Blog Entries
    Of course; don't be silly. Some people don't? In this day and age? Who raised them?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm another that feels naked with out the seat belt on. Have been that way ever since my wife's wreck in 1978. 1/2 ton Ford truck pulled out in front of her. She T-boned him at 55 mph.. Totaled both vehicles. Neither hurt seriously. (Wife had 4 stitches in her knee from hitting the keys) I don't get in a vehicle without a seat belt put o;n. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I always use mine and my wife's new Honda has a very annoying beeper if you forget to buckle up.

Back in the 70's new cars wouldn't start unless the seat belt was buckled. My FIL went to get a case of beer and put it on the passenger seat. Just about came uncorked 'cause he had to buckle up the beer to get the car to start.