Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do You Wear Your Seat Belt?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Same with riding gear for the motorcycle, full helmet, full riding suit, boots, gloves and a reflective vest. Call me chicken but I don't fancy sliding down the pavement at 100Km/h on my skin. Regards, Rod.
    I'm with you, Rod. I don't ride now but have been eye witness to a pretty serious mc accident. I see people here in Houston riding on the highway wearing shorts, T-shirts and flip flops with their honey on the back in shorts and halter top. I ask myself if they ever considered what would happen in even a minor accident such as just laying it down?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    I'm with you, Rod. I don't ride now but have been eye witness to a pretty serious mc accident. I see people here in Houston riding on the highway wearing shorts, T-shirts and flip flops with their honey on the back in shorts and halter top. I ask myself if they ever considered what would happen in even a minor accident such as just laying it down?
    I saw the same thing last Saturday on I95, Jim. The honey was wearing a pair of low cut shorts that couldn't have been more than six inches from top to hem, and a swimsuit top. My first thought was, "honey, if you hit the pavement there won't be anything left but bones when you stop sliding".

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It drives my wife nuts that I will often not start the car until all the doors are closed and seat belts are buckled. She wants me to start the car right away so she can roll down the windows, they are electric. I can live with the closed in air for a few seconds, she has issues with this.

jim

HHmmm....clearly you havent lived down south with its super high humidity levels.... Down here, in the summer, you crank up the car first, roll the windows down, turn the A/C on, then buckle up.... after you start moving a little ways, then you roll the windows back up and let the A/C do its job. The greenhouse effect is just brutal down here....

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    I saw the same thing last Saturday on I95, Jim. The honey was wearing a pair of low cut shorts that couldn't have been more than six inches from top to hem, and a swimsuit top. My first thought was, "honey, if you hit the pavement there won't be anything left but bones when you stop sliding".

This is another one I just love.... some little thing holding on to her boyfriend or whoever.... tank tops , flip flops, shorts.... running about 90 m.p.h.

Is it really that wrong to secretly want to see that bike just lay over and peel that skin off like a potato peeler.....

I mean come on.... How blatantly stupid could a person be to think that the guy controlling that bike is never going to make a mistake, or worse, that nobody in another vehicle will ever do anything to jeopardize the safety of the motorcycle operator or passenger?

If seat belts are required by law then certain riding gear should be required by law. Maybe you don't agree with this, maybe you do.... but jeans, riding jackets, gloves and boots, along with helmets should be law in every state on anything over 49cc.

Edit : should read the whole thread first.... but I guess alot of us feel the same way....
    Last edited by John A. Callaway; 07-22-2010 at 2:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Belinda,

You mean like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5LQAwB5MTg

At least she had a helmet on (for whatever good it did her, though her head may be the only thing attractive about her at that point).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I wear my selt belt every time I am in a vehicle with seat belts. I wore them long before state laws required them.

Yes, I always wear mine. Why? I promised my wife I would. So, even when she's not around I wear it. God forbid, if I died in an accident and I didn't have it on, she'd kill me!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Always!

We hit turbulance on the plane a week ago and I had my seatbelt off...never again after seeing the plane in Denver! Trains-planes-automobiles...this gal wears a seatbelt!

Phyllis

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If people could carry an opt out card things might be different. So if they did become seriously injured because they chose not to buckle up or wear a helmet they could just be driven to the hospital for organ harvesting instead of draining their own or public insurance.

I do not know many people who would carry an opt out card.

jim

I LOVE this idea! I would carry one without question!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    I had a rollover accident in the 60s and if I had been wearing a seatbelt I would have been much more seriously injured or possibly killed. Having said that, I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt and actually feel weird without it. That one incident may have ended different, but the other 999,999 times the seatbelt will probalby save you.

Happened to my cousin too. She was in a rollover without her seatbelt and walked away minus one of her arms. The others in the truck didn't walk away at all.

You know what I don't understand?

When you are 1 year old, you HAVE to be in a child safety seat.
    When you are 10, you need to be in a booster seat.
    When you are old/big enough, you have to wear a seat belt.

But get on a big yellow school bus or on the Metro (city train) and NOTHIN'!

What's up with that?
    I drink, therefore I am.

In 1962 I purchased seat belts as a Christmas gift to my parents for dad's 1958 chevy. I have worn seat belts religously since I got my DL in 1962. Probably saved me when I had that high speed head on on the highway in the 80's.
    I had a BIL who was adament that you were safer without them as you would be thrown clear of the car in a bad accident.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I average 1000+ miles per week in a car. And I always wear my seat belt. I feel naked with out it.

I wear my seatbelt 110% of the time...it goes on before I turn the key and anyone in the vehicle is require to have theirs on, too, before the vehicle moves an inch. Same goes for when I'm on the Kubota or the ZTR...seatbelt gets used 100% of the time. (Both have ROPS)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

YES! Always, and all of our 5 adult children, their spouses, and all grandkids are properly restrained. We pounded it in their heads early on.