Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It was the right thing to do

Blog Entries
    it feels good doing the right thing and thats just what i did this past week when i sold my bandsaw, the guy gave me $20 to much. i thought i counted right the first time but after he was gone and i was back in my house i counted again (a few times) and i was twenty long each time.

so i sent the guy an email and told him what happened, he couldnt believe i mailed him about it, it was only twenty dollars but i know it would mean a lot to me to have it back. (it is a half a tank of gas you know) so he left it up to me cause he was more then happy with the saw but i got his address and mailed it off.

anyway, i could use some good karma so hopefully this helps? ;-Þ
    cause what comes around goes around, good or bad the way i see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    With ALL respect to the OP for doing the right thing .....

Isn't it odd that we've come to live in a place where doing the right thing IS noteworthy ?

You read front-page headlines, when somebody returns a found wallet, with the money still inside.

Why ?

Guess I'm becoming An Old Fart, huh

I genuinely applaud the OP for doing the right thing, but ... I rather (naively) wish that we lived in a world where -- like airplane travel -- we didn't MAKE headlines when things worked ... as they were supposed to work

Very well said, sir. I've often wished the same.
    I worked at 3Com in CA years ago, with a man named Earl. I'd lock stuff up in my desk when I'd leave work. Earl would ask my why I did that, and I said so nobody would take the stuff. He'd say "but why would they take it if it's not theirs?". I have no idea what Earl is doing today, but I can't count how many times I've wished we lived in that world.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    With ALL respect to the OP for doing the right thing .....

Isn't it odd that we've come to live in a place where doing the right thing IS noteworthy ?

You read front-page headlines, when somebody returns a found wallet, with the money still inside.
    In fact, I think the opposite: good deeds SHOULD be noteworthy. They remind us of the the right way to act. I turn on the 11:00 news and all I hear is about murder and crime. I think THAT stuff should not be noteworthy; it just desensitizes us, and does nothing to instruct or inform our daily lives. The OP's post helps me remember that people are mostly good - not bad. That kind of positive energy is and should be contagious. More of it, I say!

Great story Cliff! I believe behavior (both good and bad) is viral. We each get to choose how we want to influence the world around us. You did the right thing and have had a far reaching positive impact (just look at the number of views and responses your post has had). Even small acts of kindness may have a huge impact on someone's life. You may not even realize it (at least in this lifetime).

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    You know if you took it, your church would collapse the next time you walked in.

Of course you did the right thing!
    I'd like to think I would act as admirably, but I'm not sure. I might be concerned about the above happening and this might dissuade me, I guess.

Way to do the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hammond View Post
    Three-to-one says the old guy almost never uses it, and a few years from now after he's passed on you'll find out from his widow she sold it at her cleaning-out-his-stuff garage sale for 5 bucks and 4 toaster cords.
    Unfortunately, that happens all too often. I worked with a guy who was always complaining that he and his wife only had the one car to drive. "The transmission was out" on the other one and they didn't have the money to fix it. One day a comment was made that suddenly made me realize that all that was wrong was that the shifter linkage had come loose. Turned out the little plastic grommet holding things together had broken and I helped him fix it and all was well. Or so I thought...

Turns out that he sold the car for $500 because "it was only a matter of time before the transmission went out again..."

Some people you can't help...