Thread: spraying polycrylic?

spraying polycrylic?

Hey all - I'm going to try spraying some minwax polycrylic with an hvlp gun, and I'm wondering how many coats I would need to match about 3-4 coats using a brush? Is it about the same, or do I need to up the number? Also, can I recoat faster when sprayed? With a brush it's about 2 hours, but how can I tell when it's safe to recoat when sprayed? Is dry to the touch the tell tale sign?

Okay, sorry for the numerous questions - I just got the gun and am in a bit of a rush to get this project done so I want to make sure I have all the details before giving it a try.

Thanks for the help!

Spraying is about the same buildwise. I use a knuckle or pinky if it doesn't stick I will recoat. I have not sprayed Minwax's polycrylic. I don't use there finishes vey much.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Minwax Polycrylic sprays just fine with an HVLP gun. I don't like the product, per se, since it's got polyurethane in it...personal bias...but I have used it a number of times "in a pinch" when I needed to get a project done and needed a locally sourced water bourne to spray for it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries

Spraying minwax

Ditto the other responses, I never cared for the product. The few times I have used it, was not pleased with the results. Somebody must use it, sure has been around for many years.
    David Woodruff

If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter how you get there.

I had a couple gallons donated once and it works OK.

recoat when dry to the touch and you are fine. Coat mils are about the same as a good brush technique.

3 total coats is probably plenty. A seal coat and two finish coats. You can use it as a sealer itself.

At the cost of the stuff order up some target EM6000. A bit easier to use and a better product all the way around.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Thanks guys - yeah, next project I'll be using something else, but I have to get this done with the minwax stuff. Anyway, I sprayed a few coats last night and I'm getting lots of little air bubbles - right off the gun it seems. So I don't think it's the problem of rising temp of the wood. Am I not laying enough on that causes the bubbles, or am I spraying too far away, or using the wrong tip. I'm using the HF HVLP system, which surprising online lots of people have said they get fantastic results spraying acrylics with it. Anyway, if you have any input, that would be great!

I've been very impressed w/ how EASY Polycrylic is spraying w/ my touchup gun from harbor freight. Researched this and found very little, so I've been posting my results everywhere I can. YES do try spraying it; finest mist that you can get to spray I suspect; mine is course and will require more rubbing out.