Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman Chain Saws

Question Craftsman Chain Saws

Has any one had any experience with Craftsman chain saws. Are they reliable? Will they start easily after a long layoff? I won't use it that often unless we get a bunch of hurricanes again next season. Sears is closing out an 18" 42cc saw for $159.88 w/ a case and an extra chain. Think it's worth it?
    There's a big ol' mahogany log in my garage that's aspiring to be some bowls!

Blog Entries
    At one point Craftsman chain saws were made by Poulan, but I don't know if they are anymore or not.

Storing any gas powered piece of hardware has its risks. Make sure you use gas stabilizer in the fuel and run it for some time after the stablilizer is in before storing it. Even so, you probably want to use it at least once a year anyway, replacing the gas with fresh gas.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've had two of them thru the years and have cut beaucoup chords of wood and never had a problem. If you're faithfull to them about proper storage between seasons, they should be ok.
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

My father had one for over 15 years,he would only use it a couple of times a year, sometimes not at all. it allways served him well,and he is very fussy! He took down some monsterous trees with it too! id say go for it a buck & a half aint bad.

Michael,

I would pass, my Dad has/had two Craftsman saws. Both required service over $50 at one point or another with light use. I think you can find better saws for a litte more money. We had both switched to Jonsered saws for about 6 years with know problems. I'm also a big fan of Stihl power equipment and have a blower and trimer that work and start with no problems. Stihl typically has a couple lower price point home owner models to compete with the box stores. But with Stihl you get a dealer that knows saws and will take care of you. They may also have some trade ins, if you want to save on a saw that will only see light work.

John

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    For that price you could get a nice Milwaukee Electric Chain saw. If it is just for the one log I think you can do better. If it is for cords of wood I know you can!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I've had a 2.4 craftsman saw for 8 years and its been very reliable considering how much I've used it. I bought it to clear 20 acres and figured as cheap as it was ($129) I couldn't go wrong. I went through two bars and 4 chains, but the motor and clutch have held up well.
    Dennis

Well I just watched a toolbox on the history channel (thanks TIVO) and they talked about a Sthil with a spring that makes starting their new chainsaws effortless.

Keith

Stihl

Second what John said about Stihl. I have an 012 that is about 20 years old and it does nothing but run, regardless of how long it's been between starts or whether I've used fuel stabilizer. I'm guessing it's about 30cc and it's cut everything including serious oak. Total maintenance cost over 20 years, one spark plug and a bunch of compressed air to clean the saw and air filter.

Much like WW tools, you get what you pay for......

When we moved to this property in 1999, I bought an 18" name-brand chainsaw from the big-box that was very similar to the Sears unit mentioned in the original post. But I didn't get around to using it for awhile...frankly over a year. When I did, it worked...at least through the first tree and part of the second before it froze up solid. Since it was out of warranty, it was trash. Then I bought a small Stihl .029 FarmBoss with an 18" bar. That machine has been going strong for nearly four years now, starts very easy no matter what the weather or how long it's been between uses. And it was only about a hundred bucks more than that original unit that had no redeemable value. So my $300 Stihl really cost me $500...and could have only been $300 if I made the right decision the first time around.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey Jim was that saw green and purple???

If you get it run it hard for at least a week. My dad bought one recently and had it less than a week and took it back they said it wasn't worth fixing and replaced it. The chain oiler didn't work.

If you buy something please set it up and run it. I too have been bitten by this. I will not buy lawn equipment (again)in the middle of winter the warrenty is gone before you use it. It is amazing what some "deals" can cost you. The day after the big stom is not the time to find out that the genarator does not run, put out juice, etc.

Have fun picking out a new toy. If you have a saw you might as well get a lathe.
    Last edited by Charles McKinley; 12-06-2004 at 10:05 PM.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley
    Hey Jim was that saw green and purple???
    No. Red...like my face after it went kaflooie!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Another vote for Stihl. I'm sure others are good too, but my Dad got one over 30 years ago, and it still runs well. And it's been used quite heavily over the years. I don't have one yet, but assuming I get one before I inherit his, I wouldn't consider any other brand.

Perry

I say Get the Stihl I got my 250 saw it has a 18" bar for $100 more that the one you are looking at and they were runing a promo for a free case (mail in) but it was here in less than 2 weeks!
    I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jim

Very well put Jim...mine was a red one also and it locked up shortly after the warranty vanished. Next time I want one like yours.