Thread: Making portable router table

Making portable router table

I have a full size router table top that I want to make portable or knock down due to lack of space. I don't want it to be heavy because the top is heavy already. Has anybody used a full size top on something other than a cabinet? I just don't have the room for that. I was thinking of hinging it and hanging it on a wall with support legs. Then I could fold it up when not in use. Any ideas appreciated.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

On the job site and in our shop we just clamp the table to sawhorses or off the end of a bench. The rest of the time they hang on or lean against the wall.

2 clamp knobs hold the thing to the bench (through pre-drilled holes).
    Fence pivots and is held fast with c-clamp.
    Hangs from rafters whilst out of play.

Thanks guys. That's a great idea about the temporary set up and will work just perfect for me.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Alan,
    I was in a similar situation and here is my solution: Fold up router table

Its not quite "portable" as you had requested but it does save space when not in use. The only limitation I have found to date is the inability to run longer stock due to its location within my shop but I don't require that often.
    Good Luck!
    NWB
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

I have a Freud portable router table and it is awesome, I would highly recommend you check into it for a portable space saving unit. It has worked great for my needs, of course one needs to keep its ability in mind ( I wouldn't want to run long or very large stock thru it without additional support/out riggers ).

Non-portable shop-made router table using existing space

I'm sure this has been suggested elsewhere, but here again in my words:

If you have a cabinet table saw with extension wings you may want to consider replacing one of them (preferably the left hand side as you use the saw) with hardwood plywood insert (two 3/4 " sheets face glued will be the same thickness as the wing) then route a hole the same size and shape as a commercially available router plate or lift, notched as necessary to allow gravity or a couple of screws to hold it in place in the wing. You can then lift the router out to make adjustments, or to use the saw, with or without a drop in blank plate to fill the router plate hole. This works like a charm, and with the double benefit of using the saw fence for routing as well. Takes only a minute or two to switch over, and your router can even be left in place if you simply run the bit down below flush with the table surface solving another pesky storage issue.