Thread: New Dining room design - looking for feedback

New Dining room design - looking for feedback

Hello,

I'm going to build a dining room set and have a couple of design issues I'd like to get some feedback on.

First, I'll describe the situation and let you in on how I got where I am. Our dining room is 13'x14' and has doors on 3 walls. So not only is it small and square, but it also has to allow "traffic".

We looked at some square table designs, but just didn't identify with them. In addition, we were concerned that a square design may not fit well in another home.

So, then the discussion moved to how big do we want it to be on a daily basis and how can we expand for entertaining. In general, we are against leaves for a bunch of reasons. The only one I cared for was a butterfly leaf, but it didn't do it for my wife.

SO, the design solution I came up with is to make 3 tables. The main table will be 66"x40" (seating 4 regularlly, 5 or 6 in a pinch). The 2 additional tables will each be 40"x20". The idea being that they are "free standing leaves", but have other uses...back to back as a 40" square "kids" table and end to end as a 80"x40" serving table.

The challenge with this is that the small tables must be free standing, but not interfere with a seated diner's legs. So, the direction is to inset the "back" legs. Worst case, when not in use as a leaf, they would lean against the wall or each other. But I didn't want the small tables to be "different" from the main tables, so I made sure that the leg layout would work on the main table as well...but I did end up with 8 legs on it, to make it "look right". Although a bit busy and I'm still tweaking material sizes to make it balanced, I believe its working....let me know if you think otherwise!

Also, of note, is the way I'm going to "attach" the leaves. I'm going to have to test the idea out, but what I'm thinking is that, near the end of the table, I will rout a pocket in from underneath and insert some neo-magnets. I will plug the pockets once all is dialed in, but the concept is that the force will be strong enough that it will hold the edges tightly together, but not be difficult to separate. Any one tried this? I'll be ordering 2 of many strength magnets to try and dial this in.

Now onto the reason I'm posting. I have a couple of joinery ideas that I like aesthetically, but I'm little skeptical about their durability.

One joint is essentially a M&T, but is executed like a reverse through dovetail...kinda. I got the idea from a knock down joint I saw in American Woodworker(circa 1999). It was a large single dovetail with a shoulder to limit insertion. My idea is to keep the shoulder, but break it into 2 dovetails...more attractive. My concern is 2 fold, is there enough non-end grain glue surface (helped by making it 2 dovetails) and is the socket inherently weak (leverage cause it to crack)?

The other is connecting the stretchers on a 45degree angle...on the corners of the legs. The "correct way" to do this would be to mill a flat and M&T. But I don't want to give up the corner of the leg (aesthetically). So, I'm considering 2 things: 1)mill the flat to match the cross-section of the stretcher, which would create a triangle overhang(and underhang). my concern with this is that racking forces would cause the triangle to split; 2) make the shoulders of the tenoned stretcher on a 45, to socket against the legs sides; but I'm concerned that this could cause the stretcher to split.

Lastly, I am somewhat keying on the through dovetail as a design feature that I will carry over to the chairs. But I'm not sure that I have a comfortable design (I took the geometry from the Chair design book).

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
    M.J.

P.S. I almost forgot, the big spark of this project is the lumber I found for the top. A bookmatched pair of "musical" Claro Walnut boards...each 20"x108".

P.P.S. I don't know how to insert the pics in the right places, so they are stuffed here on the end.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    M.J.

Here's the chair

And I probably should have mentioned that the intent is to have the tails protrude 1/8" or so...to further their use as a design detail.

Sorry about the light lines....scanned pencil lines, trying not to get the graph paper lines...

Anywhose, thanks again for any feedback,
    M.J.
    M.J.

Mike ---

Coupla comments...

* One other way to avoid whacking diners' knees is a pedestal base. You could, on all three bases, put a column where there is now a pair of close-set legs, and arms out at the floor level to the bottoms of the corner legs, and then remove those corner legs. The result is that people can sit at the corners of the tables, which they can't do with your present design.

* I've used buried rare-earth magnets as catches on cabinet doors, and it works quite nicely. However, I think you'll find they don't work as well to hold dining tables together. In my experience, you kinda need to cinch the tables together. Furthermore, dining tables get whacked, and that would likely break the magnetic bond. Instead, you could use conventional mechanical leaf latches, but put one end of each latch on a pull-out stick. The stick is mounted underneath a table top. It pushes back to be invisible when it is not latching. When you pull it out, it only comes some distance, but then it stops. You put the tables together, pull the sticks so they slide out from under one top and under the next top, and then secure each latch.

Unfortunately, you have narrowed down your options since you know what you don't want. It's real hard to see the drawings.

I know you mentioned you did not want leafs, but what about self hiding ones? Something that slides up and into use (both ends) when needed and hidden back under table when not. I've seen some in modern furniture stores and they are real nice.

Also there is always round or oval shaped to help with traffic flow.

Good Luck.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Jamie: I should have added that we have an Art's & Craft's home and were looking to stay with "linear" designs. I agree, a pedestal would be a much easier way to deal with this! Magnet-wise, I really hope that it works out, because using hardware would leave behind the "clean" feeling. Sounds funny, with the design being as busy as it is, but it comes from the 2 piece top and the linearity. Beside, we both really like the idea of not having to deal with latches.
    BTW, LeeValley's 1" diameter magents are listed as having 30lb holding strength....claiming most people can't separate them without a tool! With one at each corner, I'm hoping that would snug it up. Oh yea, they also claim increased forces when combined with steel cups. We shall see!

Scott: Sorry for the quality of the images. At the end of this message are a couple of sharpened images. And yes, I agree, design-wise I have a very tight box to fit into to. I like the sliding leaves, but the wood I'm using for the top would have been a problem. Atleast with te designs I'm familiar with...they require a double layer top, each about 3/4"...so I would have to be resawing some 20"boards! The other option was the butterfly leaf in the middle, but between the distruption to the grain pattern of the 2 piece top and my wife not wantting to "deal" with the way it would work...well there ya go.
    Round and oval were also casualties of the "linear" design mandate.

Thanks for the comments! Any thoughts about the joints?

Regards,
    M.J.
    M.J.

Someone has raised a concern about the strength of the reverse (sliding) dovetail, seen in the last image....that it leaves (weak) short grain on the top part of the leg.

Does that make sense to you all? Is this a big no-no?

I'm still getting the shop ready to start, or I'd go ahead and prototype it and see what it's like. Good news is that I finished installing my Reznor heater! It was 9deg last night and I was working in just a t-shirt

Thanks for any insights,
    M.J.
    M.J.

Graham Blackburn book

You have an interesting design problem, indeed. By coincidence I got the Graham Blackburn book on design for Christmas, Furniture by Design. See:

http://www.blackburnbooks.com/Product/FbD.html

He has a specific design that does almost what you want to do. One big difference is his "end" tables are demi-lune instead of square, but I believe it would work with square ends just as well. And his fix for the legs is worth looking at. I think you would be well served to take a look at his design book--he sells it for $19.95 postpaid from the above site.

Bert

With the pedestal design, you could also hinge the top so that it stored "more flush" against a wall.
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC