Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pendant DBP Mandrel

Question Pendant DBP Mandrel

I just ordered Richards DBP and wanted to know from the creekers out there using it. Which bottle stopper mandrel?

I have 1 drill chuck. I also have spigot jaws for my OW chuck.

Thanks,
    Mike
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

I use the mandrel from Ruth Niles

It's nice in that the threads are cut in a way that they also act as a tap for bottle stoppers.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

I forgot to mention that the mandrel has a threaded hole that accepts a drawbar... a good thing for offset turning.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Thanks Alan.

I'm thinking about ordering the $9.00 mandrel from Arizona Silhouette. I would use it with a #2mt collet from little machine shop. Can someone tell me the diameter of the shaft on the mandrel?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

I also have Ruth Niles bottle stopper mandrel. I have the draw bar made up and love it. Like was said the threads on the mandrel cut threads in the wood or acrylic. I had the $9 one from AS and didn't care for it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I use the stopper mandrel from Penn State. Works a treat.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

I have three different ones, a AS one, PSI and Ruth's. Ruth's is the most expensive, I just recieved it a little while ago, but I like it best.

I use one from CSUSA in a Jacobs chuck from HF with a drawbar. The shaft diameter is 1/2".

Unhappy

I got the baker plate and went with the Ruth Niles mandrel.

The Mandrel came today but I have a problem. My baker plate does not screw on all the way. The diameter of the stud on the mandrel flares out at the end.

Are all of you using the RN mandrel using a bushing with it?

Well I may have miss lead a little in my post. I have three bottle stopper mandrels as I stated. I ordered one of Ruth's because I couldn't find the other two and I'd been looking for an excuse to get it. Guess where I just remembered my AS mandrel is..... screwed into my pendent mandrel! I wonder is my PSI one is screwed into something else I was making?? Anyway, I don't see why you couldn't use a washer as a spacer on the Ruth mandrel. The AS one has essentially a "washer" on it that slips on and off.

Mine screw all the way on to the mandrel.

If the stud flares out, it might be a simple matter of touching a file to it while it's spinning on the lathe to true it up.

Why don't you give Ruth a call... she uses hers with the backer plate and should be able to advise.

I would take a look at mine, but both are currently occupied with bottle stoppers in progress.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a DBP Mandrel?

Thanks Alan.

I thought of filing or scraping the mandrel wile running the lathe. Also I thought about counter sinking the mandrel a bit more.

To tell you the truth I would rather not have to alter either.

I will contact Ruth.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Elder View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a DBP Mandrel?
    Barry the DBP stands for deluxe baker plate. You need a bottle stopper mandrel to turn it on your lathe. Do a search for pendants.

[QUOTE=Mike Stephens;1482967]Barry the DBP stands for deluxe baker plate.
    You need a bottle stopper mandrel to turn it on your lathe. Do a search for pendants.
    Hi Mike; Actually all you require is a short section of a 3/8" x 16 tpi bolt to make your own mandrel!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!