Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pendant DBP Mandrel

[QUOTE=Mack Cameron;1482973]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephens View Post
    Barry the DBP stands for deluxe baker plate. Hi Mike; Actually all you require is a short section of a 3/8" x 16 tpi bolt to make your own mandrel!
    Mack I tried that first. I put a couple different pieces of 3/8" 16tpi threaded bolts and rod in my spigot jaws and just could not get it to run true.

I fixed the RN mandrel with a 1/16" parting tool.

Thanks SOL,
    MIke
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

I use the mandrel from Arizona Silhoutte held in a jacobs chuck. I've not had any trouble with that arrangement.

Glad to see you got the mandrel tweaked... takes less time to fix it than to make a phone call <s>
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

It's probably worth giving Ruth a call anyway, let her know what you wound up doing... so she can check the mandrels in stock to make sure yours was unusual. Ruth is a lovely lady, she'd be happy to talk with you about it.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Blog Entries
    Going to try to get in the shop and turn some pendents tomorrow. Not sure how long I'll last though. Expecting 100+ degree heat.
    Have a Nice Day!

Must be hot there, the owl in you avatar looks like he is starting to melt.

I had the same problem with Ruth's mandrel. I just slipped a washer on as a spacer as suggested by Paul. Works great.
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 08-05-2010 at 6:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    I had the same problem with Ruth's mandrel. I just slipped a washer on as a spacer as suggested bu Paul. Works great.
    I bought the mandrel for the baker plate because I wanted a precision machined tool. If I where to put a 5 cent stamped washer on it, well then I could have just bought a 3/8" 16tpi bolt from the hardware store.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephens View Post
    I bought the mandrel for the baker plate because I wanted a precision machined tool. If I where to put a 5 cent stamped washer on it, well then I could have just bought a 3/8" 16tpi bolt from the hardware store.
    I know. I initially felt the same way, but Ruth's mandrel was actually designed as a bottle stopper mandrel and works great for that purpose without any mods. Using it for pendants is a secondary use so I cut her a lot of slack

I am not blaming Ruth at all. I did not intend for it to come across like that. I had just read that a lot of people use her mandrel with the baker. Alan stated that his screwed on all the way. You are right that it is intended to be used with bottle stoppers.

Anyway I made the mode and it works great. There is no doubt that it is a fantastic bottle stopper mandrel.

Mike,

I just checked both of my mandrels, and it turns out that there is a very slight outturn at the bottom of the threaded section on each of them.

I had not noticed this before, and it appears that it does keep the backer plate from seating against the shoulder of the mandrel by a few thousanths of an inch. The distance was so small I had not noticed it, and it didn't affect the performance of the backer plate.

However I will use the same technique that you used to trim off the outturn so it seats snugly.

I agree that this was not the intent of the mandrel's design, and I started using this combination before Ruth started selling the backer plate. So I'll call Ruth and suggest that future machinings of the mandrel be retooled to remove the small outturn.

I use a jacobs chuck and a cut off 3/8 bolt, runs absolute true, what more is needed.
    Wally

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Zenreich View Post
    Mike,

I just checked both of my mandrels, and it turns out that there is a very slight outturn at the bottom of the threaded section on each of them.

I had not noticed this before, and it appears that it does keep the backer plate from seating against the shoulder of the mandrel by a few thousanths of an inch. The distance was so small I had not noticed it, and it didn't affect the performance of the backer plate.

However I will use the same technique that you used to trim off the outturn so it seats snugly.

I agree that this was not the intent of the mandrel's design, and I started using this combination before Ruth started selling the backer plate. So I'll call Ruth and suggest that future machinings of the mandrel be retooled to remove the small outturn.
    Thanks Alan for checking. Mine was off the baker plate a good 32nd of an inch. It runs great now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Wenzel View Post
    I use a jacobs chuck and a cut off 3/8 bolt, runs absolute true, what more is needed.
    Wally
    Wally I first tried it with a couple different bolts chucked in the spigot jaws of my OW scroll chuck. It just would not run true for me. I did not try it in my jacobs chuck because I only have 1 and need it for drilling the pendants.

Thanks for posting.