Thread: How to harvest neighborhood tree trimmings...?

How to harvest neighborhood tree trimmings...?

I believe this has been asked before and/or in various ways but I would like to ask the experts for a concise and step ordered answer to this question.

Our city has a lot of old growth trees and every year a storm comes through and causes havoc requiring so much potentially wonderful good wood to be tossed. I'd like to understand what it takes to harvest, prepare and dry this wood so I can use it for myself. I would appreciate simple concise steps that I can use to further research from.

I am in the Dallas, Tx area and have the possible ability to attic dry, kiln dry, garage dry, solar dry and so forth.

My needs are small thin panels that I can run through my laser cutter to make ornaments and the like. So I think I would initially cut to 1/2" or so for drying and the typical short 'man handle' capable tree pieces are fine for my needs.

So what are my steps and what equipment do I need at home to do them to end up with 1/8" prepared wood strips? I am not yet familiar with head saws or methods to do the initial green rippings and such, so a simple step listing with needed equipment might be what I am looking for. I am looking for the home-based, low volume, slow method.
    Last edited by James Terry; 07-24-2010 at 9:21 PM.
    GCC Laser Pro Mercury L25

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale