Thread: Out Feed Roller Table Review

Out Feed Roller Table Review

Bought an out feed roller table over the weekend. I had looked for quite a while for some information on the install, function, and adjustability of this type table. People I talked to said it would work, but I hadn’t seen one installed. I generally like to know how it works before I get something so there are no surprises. It is just how I am.

So here goes with a review. Hopefully someone else will find the information useful.

Table is HTC model number <b>HOR-1038U</b>. I installed the table on my Powermatic 66 saw. The unit comes in two boxes. One with the roller table in it, the other with the mounting bracket, support arm and hardware.

<b>Dimensions:</b>
    Roller table (outside dimensions): 37” wide X 31<sup>3</sup>/<sub>8</sub>” deep
    From edge of rear of saw table to rear edge of first roller (when table is lowered): 9½”
    From edge of rear of saw table to rear of farthest roller (when table is raised): 39<sup>3</sup>/<sub>8</sub>”
    Facing the saw, the left edge of the roller table is even with the left edge of the extension wing.

When lowered, the bottom roller is enough above the factory dust collection port that it will not interfere with the hose.

The directions specifically mention existing holes in Unisaw cabinets, so the installation on a Unisaw may be even easier. This unit will fit most every 10” cabinet saw made.

If you have a sliding table, the <b>HOR-1026U</b> is not as wide and will let the slider go by.

<b>Use:</b>
    From the lowered position raise the roller table by standing behind the saw and lifting. The support arm will automatically drop in place. To lower the table, raise it slightly, then push the middle of the support arm with your foot to release it. The support arm will fold and the table can be lowered.

The height of the table may be easily lowered to allow use of a miter gauge or cut off sled. Simply loosen two knobs, the cams drop <sup>3</sup>/<sub>8</sub>” and the table is now at the bottom of the miter gauge slots in the saw table. Returning to full height is just as easy.

After the table was installed, I ripped a 4x8 sheet of ¾” plywood by myself. Then kicked myself for not getting one of these sooner.

<b>Installation:</b>
    The mounting bracket attaches to the back of the saw with two horizontal arms. The upper arm is attached with stud pads mounted inside the saw cabinet. Mounting requires drilling four <sup>11</sup>/<sub>32</sub>” holes in the correct location 3½” from the top surface of the saw table and inserting the stud pads through the holes from the inside of the saw cabinet. A template is provided to accurately locate the holes.

Then the cams for adjusting the height of the table are installed in the mounting bracket followed by the table. Roller installation is simple. The axels are spring loaded and pop into their mounting holes easily.

With the table in the lowered position, the height of the top roller is adjusted to be level with the top surface of the saw. This is done by gradually tightening the four mounting stud nuts while checking the roller level with the saw table.

Add the support arm and adjust it through use of an adjustment bolt and sliding assembly at the bottom of the mounting bracket. Tighten the two bolts that hold the sliding assembly in place.

All that remains is to drill two more holes in the saw cabinet to attach the lower arm of the mounting bracket.

<b>Pictures:</b>
    Photo #1 - Side top mounting bracket and cam adjustment
    Photo #2 - View of stud plate from the inside
    Drawing #3 - Overall view from manufacturer
    Photo #4 - Top mounting bracket (one side)

Ted Shrader
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ted Shrader; 12-06-2004 at 9:44 PM.

Ted, I was interested in your review. I have considered buying either the HTC or Delta outfeed table for my Unisaw (which is equipped with a Delta Uniguard).

I have heard some talk about the possibility of the rollers allowing the material to move away from the fence. I don't know if this is just a problem if the rollers are not absolutely perpendicular to the fence or because they are rollers, not a flat surface. I would be interested in what led you to your selection over other outfeed tables.

What are the dimensions of the table when it is folded down? In other words, what does it add to the back of the table saw? I am particularly interested in this because of the space my Unguard takes up. I noticed you said the instructions mentioned Unisaws; does it mention the Uniguard as well?

Finally, do you mind sharing the cost and supplier?

Thanks a lot. This will help when I get around to picking one for my own saw.

Warren White

Ted,

Looks good, nice review. Does HTC have a web site?

thanks, Pete

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Thanks Ted!

I've been thinking about this too.
    How was it climbing into the PM to install the mounting studs???
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 12-07-2004 at 8:36 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Thanks for the review and pics, Ted. Is this for cabinet saws only or do they have a contractor model?

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Very good and complete review, Ted. HTC makes nice, hefty stuff and this piece looks to fit that model!!

I'm curious: What attracted you to a roller-type outfeed solution versus a solid, table-type setup?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tyler –

Getting the stud pads in was easy. Removed the motor cover, the front clean out door, and the blade and throat plate. Could reach everything easily. All the bolt tightening is done on the outside, so no extensions, swivel sockets, etc were required.

But I though you didn’t use yours any more except to have another flat surface for your Neander tools.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Warren White
    What are the dimensions of the table when it is folded down? In other words, what does it add to the back of the table saw? I am particularly interested in this because of the space my Uniguard takes up. I noticed you said the instructions mentioned Unisaws; does it mention the Uniguard as well?
    Warren –

When folded down the total distance behind the saw (measured from the edge of the table surface) is 9½” It looks like there is enough room for the blade guard to still be attached. I have an over arm blade guard and don’t know where the original guard is, so I can’t check for you. Can’t imagine the manufacturer would force you to remove a piece of safety equipment to use their product.

This is available from many sources for around $279 give or take. Look for sales. I got mine from Woodcraft with a 10% off birthday coupon and a gift certificate.

Ted

Warren, Pete, Lou, Jim –

The rollers end up parallel with the back edge of the table. My reasoning: The saw trunnion is mounted to the cabinet. The out feed table is mounted to the cabinet. Therefore the rollers should be perpendicular to the blade and not pull the work one to one side. Alignment of the saw includes adjusting the table so the miter slots are parallel with the blade and the adjusting the fence parallel with the miter slots thus perpendicular to the rollers. Again no pulling effect.

I chose this model for several reasons.
    (1) Because the support arm is attached to the saw cabinet and not the floor. My saw location dictates that long pieces have to go out the garage door. The support would be resting on the drive way. Adjusting level is a pain. I have a free standing out feed roller that I would go through that process every time. It is now relegated to “inside” use only.
    (2) I don’t use the out feed table as a work table for the previous reason. It is out side. and . . .
    (3) I had a 10% off birthday coupon and a gift certificate to Woodcraft. This model is what they had.

This model is for cabinet saws only and uses most of the back of the cabinet to mount. Contractor saws require two support arms - one on each side of the motor.

Unfortunately HTC does not have a web site. But you can view most of their products on Amazon.com

Regards,
    Ted

HTC website

I believe that HTC actually owns this web site: http://www.sawdustsales.com/

I have been to their factory in Royal Oak, Michigan. They do not discount, except for blemished pieces, so you might as well buy over the web.

Mark Blumer (East Lansing, MI)

Mark -

When shopping, I called their 1-800 number was told they did not have a web site. The person on the phone said most of their merchandise was on Amazon. If they own the site, not all of their employees know about it. ??? Go figure.

Ted

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shrader
    Tyler – But I though you didn’t use yours any more except to have another flat surface for your Neander tools.

Ted
    Hey Thanks Ted! I'm going to use it only to store my calendars in when I take pix for SMC. .
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/