Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: off topic--hardwood flooring

off topic--hardwood flooring

Sorry guys, this is a little off topic, but I thought you were probably the right group to ask this to.

I am getting ready to build a new house. We have designed a very large open concept Great room. The kitchen flows into the dinning room and then into the "living" room. It is really all one big room, no natural breaks for flooring.

With that in mind, we had pretty much decided on hardwood. After visiting two flooring stores tonight they both tried to talk me into laminate. I have installed laminate for my sister and realize that it isnt junk, but it just isnt wood.

Here is what I am told is the problem with wood. I have three kids and a large dog as well as the fact that I want to use it in the kitchen. I am told that the dog and the kids will destroy it. Thier really isnt much price difference between laminate and 3/4" hardwood anymore so price isnt the main factor, it is durability, I always thought that hardwood was very durable.

I really appreciate your thoughts. Obviously as a fellow woodworker, I love the look of wood in my house.

I'm not sure what the salesmen thinks your kids are going to do to it, take an axe to it or play hockey on it (in skates maybe). I have a 75 pound dog and yes there are some marks on the floor, but our maple floor is 10 years old now, and I would expect some wear. My big complaint is when people buy light wood stained dark. Then every scratch looks awful. Don't get me going on how I think laminate floors look. I really hate that seam that goes across multiple rows of flooring. If I instaledl a hardwood floor with two end seams that line up, I would go back and cut that board out, drives me nuts. I suspect that the margins are higher on their line of laminate flooring and trim pieces (that seem to be proprietary to each manufacturer) Give me real hardwood over laminate any day.

Steve

Nother vote for hardwood. I have red oak in the Kithen, and Brazilian Cherry (Jotaba) in the hallway and rooms up.

The kitchen floor pickled white, and has a waterborn finish. Very very durable. About the only thin that has phased it is the high chair with ground in cereal etc.. It is finally at the point where we need to refininsh it after 12 years. We are thinking about changing to a natural oak when it is sanded and refinished. And that's one of the nice things about real wood, very durable, and you can change the finish if you want.

Of the two floors I would say that the cherry floor is harder and more durable. There is no stain on these floors and they naturally age to a nice deep reddish brown.

I layed both floors, so you can do it yourself, but i recommend someone else sand it.

David

We have oak floors throughout the house and maple floors in the kitchen. We also have two 90 lb labs and I can still say we wouldn't put down laminate even after 6 years of experience. I can't say that the dogs have been as kind to the floor as slippers...but it's wood and it wears. I'd say 10-15 years from now we'll be refinishing...but laminate would have to be replaced. Bottom line...we love our wood floors...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

If you have a Lumber Liquidators near you check out their flooring. It comes pre-finished with a 50 coating. Pricing is fairly reasonable $3.50-5.00 sq./ft for some woods. I went to my flooring store to get all my needs for the house and specified Brazilian Cherry for the hardwood areas. They told me it wasn't available and there was a 6 month backorder. So I found a LL and picked up exactly what I wanted for $2 ft less money and no wait. They have a web site and will send you free samples so you can compare.

No affiation, yada, yada

Ray
    Retirement, it's not for wimps.

I put down about 700 sq ft of unfinished brazilian cherry about 3 years ago. We have a 70 lb dog and he has put some wear on the floor but it is not that bad. The first scratch on that floor was like the first scratch on a new car, it sucks but then you get over it. I had to keep telling myself that its a floor, not fine furniture and it will get scractched and nicked up.

You might also want to consider integrating tile in with the wood. I have seen some shows on tv that did just that. My concern is wood around sinks, always some splashing and no wood floor likes to get wet.

Finally, you can use your woodworking skills putting down a floor with some neat touches. I did one room in a herringbone pattern using the 3x36 inch planks. Took quite a bit longer but it came out pretty nice. Every board I laid down had to be cut in some fashion so there was a greater amount of waste but the effect was worth it. There is a book out on laying wood flooring, dont remember the title, but a search on amazon should find it.

I see no reason not to do hardwood either, with appropriate finish.

If you want to consider something from left field look into real linoleum. They can do amazing pattern things with it that are quite beautiful and hardy.

- Ed

Hardwood floors have been installed in homes for a gazzillion years...and modern finishes are even better than some of the products that used to be used. If you like hardwood...use hardwood. It will hold up just fine. And laminates can be scratched up just as "nicely" despite the marketing hype...but they cannot be refinished.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wood floors--I love them!

Some were installed then sanded, then finished....look real nice. Others,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

are pre-finished wood floors---they do have a slight bevel between the<o:p></o:p>

boards.....I think they both look really nice; and they both can be<o:p></o:p>

refinished at a later date---I do believe the prefinished are 1/8" thinner<o:p></o:p>

height-wise than the others BUT I have found that the prefinished are<o:p></o:p>

slightly more durable than the others. From what I remember, the prefinished<o:p></o:p>

boards "are finished" under optimum circumstances and with products which<o:p></o:p>

can not --for whatever reason(s) -- be applied in the home...we have<o:p></o:p>

kids, dogs, and cats---the prefinished floors show somewhat less wear<o:p></o:p>

than the others. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I would not do fake floors---they can not be refinished.....<o:p></o:p>

Also remember that various woods, even white oak Verses red oak, are<o:p></o:p>

various hardnesses and respond differently to damp environments...<o:p></o:p>

Good luck !<o:p></o:p>

Phil<o:p></o:p>

O.K. I am going to go the other way. I would put in the laminate. Hardwood looks nice but it is a real pain to take care of. It scratches easy, If your wife walks on it with high heel shoes she will put dents in the wood. They are high maintenence floors to keep looking nice.
    Laminate on the other hand is much harder to damage, the only thing you have to do to maintain it is use a dust mop and a swiffer. I will gaurentee your wife will like the laminate much more than the hardwood.

When it comes time to sell your house real hardwood floors will have much more value than laminate.

I personally don't like laminate. We did our kitchen, hallway and dining room with Lumber Liquidators unfinished oak 4" wide. Don't have a dog but two (7 & 8) kids. In order to avoid the scratch issue we finished it with natural Velvit oil. This makes the wood look natural, not plasticky like poly. My thought was that if a dish drops or the floor gts a scratch I could always hit it with a little sand paper and just re oil it, no marks would show. If you like the shiney look then the oil would not be for you. My wife has been after that cottagy look so the natural looking floors worked great. If the price of the old reclaimed wide board lumber weren't so high we would have done that.
    Jim

Hi Jeremy,

I have prefinished white oak in my kitchen. The seams are the weak spot in this type of floor. Water has gotten between some of the but joints and caused a little graying. It also is not as smooth as floor that is sanded and finished after instalation. My parents home has hardwood floors and survived three farm boys just fine. If I put down a laminate floor it would be a look other than wood.

My floors are 6 years old now. I don't think they will make it to 50 years before refinishing based on how they look now hey will probably make 25 without problems. Unless I lose my mind and refinish them to make them nice a smooooth.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

unfinished red oak

If you decide to use the real thing, be sure to bring it in the house a couple
    weeks before you start to lay it. Mine had been stored outside in a
    building, so I figured it was dry. A couple of weeks later it started to
    gap. This was last winter. It took me a couple weeks to get it laid and
    the farther I went, the less it gapped. Now the cracks only appear in
    times of low humidity. Winter with the furnace on and late summer with
    AC on for some time. Jim

My wife wants to replace the tile we have with wood, but I've been concerned about the dog scratches, too. Having seen some other floors in 'actual use', I realize now that's probably not an issue...but the hair may be. On a dark floor, the dog hair shows up quite well...and probably even more so on a gloss finish. And we have hairy dogs (and cats). Might not be so bad on a lighter color (maple), but the tile 'hides' hair much better, IMO.

KC