Thread: 2 week vacation from toolmaking- some real shop time

2 week vacation from toolmaking- some real shop time

I've been pretty busy making tools and getting ahead for the Christmas season so it's been starting to get repetitive. I have decided to give myself at least a 2 week break and maybe with luck I'll not make more tools until after the holidays. A friend gifted me with some very nice pieces of Fiddleback Maple on Sunday and I think that I'll try to do some flat work for a change of pace. I also need to do shop maintenence and do some rearranging to make things more efficient. I might even find the time to buy the lumber for the new bench I've been procrastinating about for the last year or two. Heck, the plans have been drawn for months.

The pix below taken tonite will show why I decided I needed a toolmaking break. My lathe isn't the only thing which has been spinning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

A very well-deserved vacation, I'd say! Wow!!! That's a load of work, by golly. Ah, but you make such pretty tools! They look (and work!) wonderful!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Beautiful stuff.
    I see Chester Tool works is Gracing the the pages of The Tools For WW catalogue. Congratulations.
    My striking knife and scratch awl were a big hit in class and in my shop!!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Lovely.

But I've seen the retail prices...you work for too little money, IMO....unless your duplicator also does the finish sanding. Any collector not buying this Chester Toolworks stuff up is nuts.

Oh....also didn't know you ran a "boutique", Dave.

Again...wonderful work.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 12-07-2004 at 1:36 AM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Busy would be a serious understatement. Nice looking work, Dave. Next trip up to Highland Hardwoods, I'd love to check out your shop.
    Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Yes, Dave...you deserve some quality shop time doing some "non-tool-making" activities! You have an impressive inventory there, however...and while the pictures are nice, I assure anyone that your work is even better in person from what I saw at Five Barns!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Guys

Thanks for the compliments.

Bob- I've worked hard to become faster and more efficient in my turning without sacrificing quality, but I don't own a duplicating lathe. It's still all by hand and eye and the sanding takes almost no time. As for pricing, since it's a sideline I don't need to get greedy. The whole purpose is to defray the cost of my tool habit. As for "boutique", I prefer to think of it as "bespoke tools".

Lou- Next ime you're headed up this way PM me and make arrangements to drop on by. If I'm home the door is always open to SMC folks and other woodworkers. I'm a 15 minute drive from Highland Hardwoods.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Bob- I've worked hard to become faster and more efficient in my turning without sacrificing quality, but I don't own a duplicating lathe. It's still all by hand and eye and the sanding takes almost no time.
    That sir, is even more impressive.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Hand Delivery

If I ordered a marking knife, do you suppose "someone on your staff" could hand deliver it to me at Williamsburg, COD?
    18th century nut --- Carl

Beautiful work!!!! Now enjoy the time off!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Well Carl........

I'll have to check with the boss, but who knows what she'll say. Actually I plan to bring a full stock selection with me to Williamsburg and have already reserved a table space at the banquet to do a display and a little selling.

Did you notice that Phil Lowe has been awarded the 2005 Cartouche? I'll introduce you to him banquet nite. I am proud to be the one who sponsored and nominated him.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH