Thread: Color Core Cardstock -raster engravable?

Color Core Cardstock -raster engravable?

I ran across this stuff on the internet and just wondered if it would laser and give you 2 colors (similar to engraving plastic). Is anybody familiar with it or know if it will laser as such?
    http://www.coredinations.com/
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Blog Entries
    Yep, have a huge stack of different colors here...

It works okay, but be aware that you don't get the exact color as the backside. Some of the "cap" color remains on it. For example, the chocolate cap on the white back... when lasered, you end up with more of a light cream color. As long as you can work within those confines, you'll be okay...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan,
    If you have a huge stack..you must use it a good bit..what for? I would think it would make some cool announcements, placards for place settings etc. huh? Care to post an example?
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Blog Entries
    I got a pretty sweet deal on it at the time, so I picked up several of the variety packs. Several inches worth.

The intent was to make cards out of it, but I've been tied up with other things...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Some of the "cap" color remains on it. For example, the chocolate cap on the white back... when lasered, you end up with more of a light cream color.
    Sounds like the results of my experiments with photo matte board, which, come to think of it, is just a thicker version of the same stuff. I suspect that whatever power is enough to get through the top layer is also enough to lightly singe the second layer. I wanted to try some black-core matte board, but it's a lot higher cost and not nearly as wide a color selection as the standard white-core.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Coredinations Cardstock

Here's an image on one of their deep purples. Sorry about the lighting. The cardstock has a slightly glossy finish which caused the darkness to one side. Besides, I don't take the best pictures!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    What I didn't like about the Core'Dinations is there wasn't a "no bumpy pattern" option to their line-up. I understand the need for the embossing for the intended field, but I want their range of colors in a perfectly sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    What I didn't like about the Core'Dinations is there wasn't a "no bumpy pattern" option to their line-up. I understand the need for the embossing for the intended field, but I want their range of colors in a perfectly sheet.
    I assume you mean smooth in lieu of textured. The example posted by Marianne looks pretty good, I may try some of this stuff.

Blog Entries
    That should have read "perfectly flat sheet"... missed a word in there.

Dan's correct.....you do get a slightly different color than what is underneath. Here are a few pics of my experiments......but I couldn't find anyone willing to pay for them........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    Dan's correct.....you do get a slightly different color than what is underneath. Here are a few pics of my experiments......but I couldn't find anyone willing to pay for them........
    So, your conclusion is that it is not a viable product for our purposes? Too bad, it looked like it had promise. It would be nice to find one that would look good, similar to the quality that we get with engraving plastics. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Blog Entries
    If you find the right application, I think the sheets will work well...

What would you think would be a good application Dan?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post

......but I couldn't find anyone willing to pay for them........

Now there's a recurring problem. I have made dozens of award samples utilizing the finest materials possible, with multiple combinations of techniques and disciplines.... everybody loves them, but aren't willing to buy them. It's like sports trophy work... they have a team consisting of 37 people and a total budget of $72. Someone will slave away at a company for 30 years, and the company will insist on particle board for the retirement plaque. And give them a $10 Timex watch for their efforts....

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.