Thread: Where I was Heading

Where I was Heading

Here's where my latest project was heading. I did these early this morning. Next goal is to make some pens that match the Keychains.
    The wood is from Jack Daniels whiskey barrels----AKA white Oak
    Last edited by Gary Max; 07-27-2010 at 7:10 PM.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

How was the logo done? I Like Em' !

Had a couple PM's about Trademarks-------I buy the the wood with Certs from a guy who has permission from Jack Daniels to resale the blanks.
    David---it's just a decal that I made----of course it took me a month to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Max View Post
    Had a couple PM's about Trademarks-------I buy the the wood with Certs from a guy who has permission from Jack Daniels to resale the blanks.
    David---it's just a decal that I made----of course it took me a month to figure out.
    They look nice Gary. Does the permission to resell the blanks also mean permission to use the logo? Those are two separate issues.

The blanks I buy come with a Cert that has the logo on it--------I am not selling the logo but a finished product that the materials where bought legal. I would not sell you or anyone the parts to make these.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Max View Post
    The blanks I buy come with a Cert that has the logo on it--------I am not selling the logo but a finished product that the materials where bought legal. I would not sell you or anyone the parts to make these.
    You are selling a finished product with a trademarked logo on it, so yes, you are selling the logo. The fact that your wood certification paperwork has a logo on it has nothing to do with you selling a finished product with a logo on it. All it means is that your supplier can tell his customers that it's official Jack Daniels wood. I'm not saying the wood is illegal, but selling a products bearing the logo without express written permission to use that logo on that specific product sure might be. I'm not discounting your nice work, but I just don't want you to get in legal trouble for selling them.

I know a bit about this subject. I've got a good friend who works for Disney in the product licensing enforcement area and I've seen them go after craftspeople very similar situations. I suspect Jack Daniels, which also has a substantial 'product merchandising' presence, would have similar attitudes.

Why can't I see the items you guys are talking about?
    I feel like Schultz, from Hogan's Heroes....
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Allen I agree. "I see nothing."
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

"I feel like Schultz..."I see nothing."

It's a trick...It's all done with mirrors. Actually it looks like all that legal mumbo jumbo freaked Gary out and he took the photo off. Probably not a bad idea...
    David DeCristoforo

Couldn't of said it better myself David

Sorry if the legal stuff upset you. I'm just trying to save you some potential trouble. I still think you did a fine job on them.

How can a guy who builds such nice trucks be so chicken?
    (Don't blame you, Gary, I've always heard that caution was a better part of valor.)
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.