Thread: Modular drawer unit

Modular drawer unit

Time to add drawers to my new mitre bench. Here's the problem wanting to do it in modular fashion with wooden slides. As I don't have much experience in this area some help would be appreciated.

Unit will measure apporximately 20"w 16" tall and be divided in half with drawers on each side. Drawers will be small in depth about 2" maybe some even less than that.

Help and ideas would be appreciated.

Consider an "extended drawer bottom" design where 1/4" drawer bottoms slide in grooves in the cabinet. This keeps them from tipping no matter where they are positioned from closed to open. Basically, you make the drawer bottom about 1/4" larger on both sides than the drawer box itself and fasten it mechanically to the bottom of the drawer. This is the one time I'd use plywood for the drawer boxes to avoid wood movement issues with gluing/screwing/nailing the drawer bottom in place. This about the best way to accomodate a lot of small drawers, too, since you don't have much room to work with for other methods. Inexpensive, too!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here's an except from Bill Hyltons Chests of Drawers book on Building Drawers Basics. I find that making things that aren't sold or for other people, ie your shop...is a good time to practice.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...dingBasics.pdf
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate the help
    I've noticed that the information gained from sites such as this both informative and helpful, and it's a good read also.

The following pics are where I'm headed with this mitre station.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Dunn; 12-07-2004 at 12:46 PM.

Hi Jim -

Welcome to the Creek. A great place to hang out and exchange ideas.

Check out the drawer section of my tool storage cabinet in this <a href="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14484">thread - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14484</a>. The drawers are about the depth you are talking about and constructed as Jim Becker described.

Welcome,
    Ted

Thanks for the ideas got to get this thing done as SWMBO has ordered some work done around the house.

I too noticed that "vintage" calender. Reminds me of my dad's shop. Wondered why my mom wouldn't let me hang out there very much