Thread: National Do Not Call List (Cell Phones)

Post National Do Not Call List (Cell Phones)

National Do Not Call List (Cell Phones)

…. For those of us who have cell phones you may find this of interest. Receive this E-mail this morning, also, I checked with SNOPES.com and pasted that information below.

Boyd
    Subject: National Do Not Call List (Cell Phones)

In the coming weeks, CELL PHONE numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive tele-sales calls. If you want to kick this to the curb before it starts, call this number from your cell phone 888-382-1222. You must call from the phone you want to block. It is the National Do Not Call list. It blocks your number for 5 years and only takes you about 23 seconds to complete the process.

Be a good friend and pass this on....

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

A directory of cell phone numbers will soon be published for all consumers to have access to. This will open the doors for solicitors to call you on your cell phones, using up the precious minutes that we pay lots of money for. The Federal Trade Commission has set up a "do not call" list. It is called a cell phone registry. To be included on the "do not call" list, you must call from the number you wish to register.The number is 1-888-382-1222 or you can go to their website at

www.donotcall.gov

Last edited by Boyd Gathwright; 12-07-2004 at 10:20 AM.
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Dig a little deeper.

Boyd: You're just repeating the rumour. The snopes.com site you identified (an excellent site, BTW, for running down all the stupid rumours and myths that show up in your email inbox) addresses the claim in great detail. I urge folks to check the information out before passing this one on.
    Tony

Tony

The number Boyd posted is for a "Do not call list". It is a legitimate offering and can be further investigated at www.donotcall.gov.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

In the coming weeks, CELL PHONE numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive tele-sales calls. If you want to kick this to the curb before it starts, call this number from your cell phone 888-382-1222. You must call from the phone you want to block. It is the National Do Not Call list. It blocks your number for 5 years and only takes you about 23 seconds to complete the process.

No need to waste your time....

"So, although the gist of the message quoted at the head of this page is correct in alerting consumers to a proposed directory of cell phone numbers, it is misleading in stating that such a directory will "soon be published" (the word "published" implies making a printed directory available, which the wireless consortium maintains they will not do) and in directing readers to sign up with the The National Do Not Call Registry. The latter step will not keep wireless customer listings out of the proposed <NOBR>Wireless 411</NOBR> <NOBR>database — it</NOBR> will only add their phone numbers to a list of numbers <NOBR>off-limits</NOBR> to most telemarketers, a step which is premature (because the <NOBR>Wireless 411</NOBR> directory has not yet been implemented) and largely unnecessary (because the <NOBR>Wireless 411</NOBR> directory information is not supposed to be supplied to telemarketers, and because FCC regulations already in place block the bulk of telemarketing calls to cell phones).
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 12-07-2004 at 3:29 PM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

5. I went to the donotcall registry site many months ago - probably over a year, and registered my home phone (land line) and my wife and my cell phones. It has helped tremendously on the home phone. The only calls I get now are from companies that I have a credit card with, or my phone company, or those that have my number from an account I have with them. I used to get a few cell calls too - now I get none. YMMV.

I registered all our phones it works great. I do receive calls that say "out oF area". if you call the number it is a recorded message saying "please dont hang up....we(whatever the comapny is) wish to speak with you.

The only reasoned i called is becuase the "out of area" calls always hang up on you when you pick it up....so I wanted to see who it was. I guess they found the loop hole....

I checked the Urban Legends site when the LOML got that email.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar..._directory.htm

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Raines
    I registered all our phones it works great. I do receive calls that say "out oF area". if you call the number it is a recorded message saying "please dont hang up....we(whatever the comapny is) wish to speak with you.

The only reasoned i called is becuase the "out of area" calls always hang up on you when you pick it up....so I wanted to see who it was. I guess they found the loop hole....
    Donnie, it's likely that it's not a "human" that is hanging up. Predictive dialers, which are devices used by the telemarketing industry, both for solicitation and other reasons, will often queue more than one call for an agent. If someone answers before you do..."your" call gets terminated. What is unusual is that you were able to actually get that recording as many times banks of trunks used for outgoing calls will not accept incoming calls! (cheaper that way...)

BTW, "Out of Area" on the Caller ID display doesn't necessarily mean it's a solicitation call. It could be an individual you know who just happens to be in a place were a central office or LD switch is not configured properly and not passing on complete information. I sometimes get that when the 'rents call from FL even though most of the time the name and number is displayed properly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I figured that is was some sort of computer thing makeing the phone calls. What happens si this: the phone will ring....when you answer it(of the answering machine gets it) it hangs up right away. I became very curious so I called thhe number back and when "it answered" it was a message saying," thank you for calling us...we wish to speak with you about.....". It was a chairty one time, and a window company the second time.

Loops holes.......

Charity and Political calls are exempt from the DNC regulations...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...