Thread: my fein turbo 3 died any idea's?

my fein turbo 3 died any idea's?

this is the older non electronic control one. it just did not turn on. I don't think it is the plug as it is plugged in all of the time and seldom unplugged. and the plug is in great shape. it is not used with another tool but I was thinking a breaker popped but I don't see any. any idea's I got to have it working so I will have to buy another and send it in for repair if I can't solve it.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Quote Originally Posted by Steve knight View Post
    this is the older non electronic control one. it just did not turn on. I don't think it is the plug as it is plugged in all of the time and seldom unplugged. and the plug is in great shape. it is not used with another tool but I was thinking a breaker popped but I don't see any. any idea's I got to have it working so I will have to buy another and send it in for repair if I can't solve it.
    Not sure what type of motor the unit has, but if the outlet is hot, maybe it's brushes in the motor...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Not sure what type of motor the unit has, but if the outlet is hot, maybe it's brushes in the motor...
    not sure if it stopped the last time I used it or did not turn on (I use them for a vac source on my cnc table. I use two of them and with the dc on I can't hear them running.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

I have the Fein TurboVac2

My only thought would be to bypass the switches and apply current directly to the motor leads. I was thinking about the circuit that turns the vac on when attached tools are activated. Putting both switches in manual mode should bypass that though--unless the auto/manual switch were stuck in auto and the auto portion failed.

Exclamation

Quite possibly the switch has failed. I would jumper/bypass it, to test, but I won't advise such unless you're handy working with voltage.

As an aside; why do some post take so long to be included in a thread!
    Last edited by Joe Scharle; 07-28-2010 at 9:24 AM.

The first thing would be to check the plug and make sure it has power.
    If there is power then check to see if there is power to the switch.
    If so then check the motor brushes.

This is when a meter really comes in handy, you can check the voltage at the plug with it and then use it to check resistance of the switch. You can check the resistance all the way from the plug on the cord to the brushes.

One side should be good all the way to the brushes and the other side would be good all the way to the brushes with the switch closed.

the thing looks a pain to take apart. I have a repair place only a few blocks away. I found you can replace the brushes or get a new motor. but I have to fork over another 450 and I need one today I can't do my work without it. so the repaired one will be the backup.

the thing has run at least 500 hours that's not too bad.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Even an expensive brush motor will eventually wear out the brushes. I have a Fein,too.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scharle View Post

As an aside; why do some post take so long to be included in a thread!
    That's a great question. I've got what looks like a silly post supplying information that appears several posts before mine. No way to know what's already in the queue ahead of you...

There are few tools as easy to take apart and service as the Turbo 3. I replaced the motor once, and it took a half hour.

I'd take the advice already given and check the electrical system. I'd spray out all parts and try bypassing the switch.

Tech support with this company is very good, and they can talk you though things and give advice.

If you are in a crisis, just buy another. As much as you use this thing, having one in back up is likely to come in handy again in the future.

-Steve