Thread: Any hope for this door?

Any hope for this door?

I've been working on a whole house job for the last couple of months and I'm pretty close to being done. I have to do the crown, toekick and light molding tomorrow. Out of the 79 door/drawer fronts I installed there is one rather large one that is giving me trouble. It is one of the doors for the pantry and it bowed on me. I didn't notice it until I was installing all the doors the other day. The door is roughly 20" x 55". Before I start making a new one I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience and came up with an alternative solution. Is it worth pulling it off and setting it under cinder blocks for two weeks or would I just be wasting my time?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chances are after sitting under a cinder block, heavy truck, or the space shuttle it'll eventually just bounce back to being twisted.

It definitely sucks when you can't adjust a twist out of a door. I try to look at which stile is the worse of the two, and hinge that side of the door as well.

and sometimes you just get hosed too. I did a big house a few years ago and there was 86 doors, 42 drawers, and probably 8 false fronts. Not one door was wrong, or messed up. Then I did a very small kitchen with maybe 15 doors, and only a few drawers, and I had to remake maybe seven of the doors, and one drawer box due to warping issues.

You might be able to put a bullet catch at the upper left corner of the offending door to pull it flat. You might try cutting through the top joints between top and center rail and stile on the hinge side, re-gluing them at a new angle and reinforcing with long screws hidden by plugs. If that works, you are home free, with little evidence of the fix. If that fails, a new door is called for.

Are those panels solid wood or plywood? Ply seldom stays flat; especially in panels that large. If solid wood, you have done all you can do. Warped panels cannot be un-warped.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Tyring will probably be good time after bad. The stress of leaving a job with the fear of warpage that will most likely happen is not worth the time and money, will probably cost you more in the long run anyway.

The good thing is you caught it before you finished the job.

I just don't see a really go way to save it and remember your name is on the door so I would say just build another one.

Here's a 2008 thread which deals with twisted doors. The video by Charles Neil is still available on his website.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99332

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I installed a magnet catch yesterday and it of course pulls the door shut. It will have to do until I can make the new one. Figures it was the largest door on the project that had to do this...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Maybe the house is twisted and the door is good. Ever think of THAT?
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC