Thread: Azek-like boards from Lowes...any good?

Azek-like boards from Lowes...any good?

I want to build something that will be used outdoors, so I was thinking Azek would be perfect. Only problem is that it seems to be hard to get around here.

I notice Lowes has something similar...."never rot" or whatever its called. Basically PVC dimensional lumber.

Anyone ever tried it? Should I hold out for Azek? I can get the Azek but A) not quickly and B) not easily (unless I want to pay a 50.00 delivery charge for a few boards)

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
    The worst part about mistakes is that you have to make them before you can learn from them.

I don't know what Lowe's sells, but I can tell you my Home Depots sells Both Azek and another brand called Tuf Board. HD has some Azeks, mostly 3/4" thick. I used the Tuf Board to and I am quite impressed with it. What impresses me about the Tuf Board is I needed to replace a rotted decorative post column and the long mitres were very clean when I cut then on the PORTABLE table saw... no chipping of the corner edges. I seem to recall the Azek sometimes chip on the edge. I used the Azek adhesives on the joints and it all worked out well. The Tuf Boards are much cheaper than Azek and not much more than the ever so rottable pine.
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 07-28-2010 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Extra info provided

Here is a link to a product you might like. I have not personally used any yet, but I have heard nothing but good things about the company and the product.

http://rpi2.com/
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Harry View Post
    I want to build something that will be used outdoors, so I was thinking Azek would be perfect. Only problem is that it seems to be hard to get around here.

I notice Lowes has something similar...."never rot" or whatever its called. Basically PVC dimensional lumber.

Anyone ever tried it? Should I hold out for Azek? I can get the Azek but A) not quickly and B) not easily (unless I want to pay a 50.00 delivery charge for a few boards)

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
    My local Lowes has some Trex (similar to Azek, perhaps a step down) and then their whatever-name price brand. The premium stuff like Azek has a higher resin content. Unfortunately their price brand standard 4/4 deck planks have a deep-corrugated bottom surface which makes them unsuitable for furniture and a lot of things other than decking.
    I used Trex for a small outdoor project recently. Like Azek it cuts and machines beautifully. Debris tends to clump with little or no fine dust, so it's not very messy at all. Just be sure to pre-drill for all fasteners. Otherwise even with special self-drilling deck screws the stuff will split unless you can stay 1.5" or so away from edges.
    Don't forget whatever you build with this stuff is going to be heavy - at least as heavy as mdf.
    - Tom

I've used something similar from Home Depot called "Tuff Board." It's PVC, but the color didn't seem to be consistent all the way through like AZEK, Kleer, Koma, etc. The surface was also kind of smooth, so I had to scuff it up with sandpaper to be sure it would hold paint. I replaced a rotted fascia board with it a couple of years ago and it still looks good. You can also get it in shorter lengths than the usual 16-footers that the pro lumberyards carry.

Jason

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
    Last edited by Jason White; 07-28-2010 at 4:55 PM.

Many of the PVC products including AZAK are not intended for structural use...so don't spend the money on a product that's not suitable for the job you intend to do. There are some composites, as folks mentioned, that can be used for heavier duty. You may need to look around for them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Im intending on using it as a sleeve over a PT or cedar post, so it wont be structural.
    The worst part about mistakes is that you have to make them before you can learn from them.

Im intending on using it as a sleeve over a PT or cedar post, so it wont be structural.
    That's exactly how the posts on our front porch are constructed...and a common use for the product. Combine the AZAK or a competitive product with a long-term paint, such as Sherwin Williams Duration, and you get an essentially maintenance free setup for probably longer than you'll live in the home.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's just what the "Azek" products are ......

designed for.....wrapping post, columns, beams, soffits, etc.
    Cut, sand, drill, route just like wood.
    Does not rot.

Here's a 5'x5' louver I built a few weeks ago.
    Blades are bevel cut with a 45 degree angle.
    Had quite a few cuts from the edge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like CertainTeed Restoration trimboards.Nice to work with,hold nails really good.One side is smooth ,other look like rough sawn cedar .Menard's has it on stock.

Chris, unless you live way out in the sticks I'm sure there's lumber yard that stocks a name brand PVC trim board. Another option is to get a PVC post sleeve. It's a pre-formed sleeve to cover posts that are part of PVC railing systems. Azek, TimberTech and others make them and they're offered in a number of colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Esh View Post
    My local Lowes has some Trex (similar to Azek, perhaps a step down)
    Just to clarify, Azek and Trex are actually two different things. Trex is a composite of plastic and wood fiber, Azek is just PVC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bradley View Post
    Just to clarify, Azek and Trex are actually two different things. Trex is a composite of plastic and wood fiber, Azek is just PVC.
    Azek is also a mixture. It has a higher resin (pvc or whatever) content than most, but still nowhere near 100%.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Esh View Post
    Azek is also a mixture. It has a higher resin (pvc or whatever) content than most, but still nowhere near 100%.
    That might be true of the Azek decking and I know the porch flooring has a small amount of flax seed instead of wood. The decking may be the same. Almost all brands of the trim boards are all PVC.