Thread: Pocket holes to attach decking

Pocket holes to attach decking

I am considering the use of outdoor rated pocket hole screws to attach 5/4 Trex decking to 2x joists on my 15x20 deck. The deck varies 15-24 inches off the ground so there is room to work from underneath if necessary. Ignoring the additional TIME & LABOR it would take to drill a significant number of holes, has anyone tried this type of installation? I have the K3 system and the mini and was planning on using the mini. Clamping the board in place, then clamp the mini to the desired location for the hole, drill, screw and move on. I have tested on scraps and with the correct clutch setting on the drill; I have had no issues with the screws holding in the Trex decking. Comments or concerns?

Kreg sells a jig specifically for decking. You work entirely on top of the deck.

They make a jig for that...

Hi Michael,

I've not used this jig but I saw it recently advertised. Have you seen this? Amazon has it for $99.

http://www.sawdustonthefloor.com/515...kreg-deck-jig/

Brian

Jamie beat me to the Send button...
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 07-29-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: too slow... ;)

Thanks for the replies! I am aware of the new Kreg deck jig, but I already own the other jigs and would prefer to use those if possible.

Michael,

Don't know why you idea wouldn't work, it will be a lot of crawling around under the deck.

I built my own railing and uses pocket holes and screws. Then I fastened the railing sections to the 4X4 posts with pocket holes.

www.mcfeelys.com

Has a lot of different treated pocket hole screw options. Good Luck

Joe

I've done something a little similar but not a deck.

If you drive the pocket screw too much it might blow out the other end. This would be my primary concern.

Using the Strongtie clips sold at Home Depot designed for the purpose of hiding the fasteners work great, aren't that expensive and will be much less labor intensive. I used them on my deck in California and loved them.
    David B