Thread: Stolen dongle

Stolen dongle

Hello there...does anyone know of a cheaper way to get a replacement dongle?

We had our shop broken into and they stole a PC, of course the one with the dongle on the back.

I have Ergosoft PosterPrint v.2008

Any info would be great

That's a large format printing RIP package?

Dongles are a pain, but a good way for them to protect from piracy. Most companys require them to be registered, so you should be able to get them to replace it by invalidating the old one and sending a new. Are they trying to charge you an arm and leg? The dongle itself can't be worth $1 without the software. There are websites that are supposed to have code to defeat a dongle but unlikely for that program.

Maybe the thief will sell the dongle on E-bay?

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Brian,

If you filed a police report and have a copy of it, you might fax it to the company and they would be willing to send you another one free and as Joes suggested invalidate the other one.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

For a moment I thought I thought I had lodged on to the wrong site. What's a dongle?

pete

It's basically an electronic key that verifies your software is not pirated. When you get into some of the more expensive software, written by smaller companies, they like using them. They send the dongle with the software and you have to plug it into a port on your computer. When the software and dongle speak, it verifies it's a legal copy. If you remove the dongle, the software won't work.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

The dongle replacement cost can vary widely from company to company.

AutoDesk, DelCAM, and Planit use them, among others. I'm not sure what AutoDesk policy is on their dongle, but Planit offers replacements at a fraction of the software cost (I believe Solid Ultimate is $10K and the key replacement is like $500 I think) but DelCAM makes you pay the full cost of the software (also $10K) for the loss of the ArtCAM dongle.

It's best to find out the replacement cost before it's lost or stolen, and insure it....

The last thing I do before I leave the shop is unplug my doggles and drop them in my brief case and home we go.
    Al

40W MII W/Rotor
    Camaster Stinger III, Vectric Aspire
    Back up Vinyl cutter
    Roland 54" print/cut
    Laminator
    Strip heater
    Lasermaster 8.5, LXI Master Plus, Corel X4, Photograv, design shop pro
    Knight DC16, DK3 Mug Press, Hix HD400D, GX7000
    Embroidery
    Hot stamping