Thread: Oshlun 8" dado vs 6"

Oshlun 8" dado vs 6"

Both these dado sets are on sale.
    Are there any advantages to the 8" version versus the 6" version...other than depth of cut?

I would be using it on the Rigid TS3650 contractor saw.
    Thanks.

I wondered the same thing before I bought the 8" Oshlun set...

The 6" would be good for underpowered saws... use the 8" if you can, more teeth on the blade than the 6", therefore smoother cuts...

My saw is a Ridgid R4511 and it spins the full 8" stack with ease...

Just finished cutting dadoes and rabbets in some pre-finished maple plywood with the 8" on my TS3650. Left very sharp, clean edges and very little tear-out. Worked fantastic.

Highly recommend the 8".

You may never need the extra depth of cut, but it could come in handy if you ever want to make a dado cut using a TS sled. Unless there's a significant prices difference, I'd go for the 8"....your saw will spin it.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

On the set I bought, the cost difference was big, but if the difference isn't that great or you can swing the extra, get the 8". The only problem I've had with a 6" set was not having enough depth of cut to do bridle joints in 2" material, but I can use my regular blade that gives a flat cut and a just flip the piece to get a centered cut, then move the fence to clean out the middle if needed so it isn't a huge deal.

Blog Entries
    I use a sled for a lot of dado functions so there is a 3/4" thickness subtracted from my maximum depth. If you are mostly dadoing (is that a word?) around 1/4" to 3/8" for shelves this is of no consequence (but I would use a router for that type of shallow work).

If you get into larger bridal, finger and tenon work, the larger stack pays off. I run a Freud SD-508 and am quite happy. Otherwise, if the depth available with a 6" will serve you, I see no issue. Some folks discuss the tooth speed reduction on a 6" but I don't know how much that really matters in practice.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the 6" set for my R4511 and they work fine...however they do leave devils ears in the corners. I don't know if the 8" set has the same issue or not, but it's something to consider if your dados will be exposed. I'm going to get an 8" Freud set the next time I see a sale. Good luck, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Green View Post
    I have the 6" set for my R4511 and they work fine...however they do leave devils ears in the corners. I don't know if the 8" set has the same issue or not, but it's something to consider if your dados will be exposed. I'm going to get an 8" Freud set the next time I see a sale. Good luck, Mike.
    AKA "Bat ears" and yes the 8" does it too... very common on most dado sets, unless you get into the more expensive sets like Infinity's IIRC...