Thread: Walnut Pedistal bowl

Walnut Pedistal bowl

This is one of my first attempts at turning a bowl. This particular piece of black walnut had a lot of swirling grain, and was originally supposed to be about 1/3 larger than it turned out.

While turning, chunks began to break off during the hollowing, and a large piece actually got sucked up into the impellar of my dust collector, and got wedged in the fan housing and blew out the motor on the DC. I had to have it repaired, so I was glad to have this one over with [I gave it to my mother-in-law ]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ah the old shrinking bowl, this is a condition known to many. Sorry to hear about the DC being impacted though. Looks good, nice shape and the wood is beautiful.

Roger, I take it this was one of the earlier ones - being "one of my first attempts." Made a very nice bowl nonetheless - nice form and really beautiful wood. Did you ever determine what was causing the chunks coming off? The wood looks quite solid, and walnut is a dream to turn - or use for flatwork, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Roger, I take it this was one of the earlier ones - being "one of my first attempts." Made a very nice bowl nonetheless - nice form and really beautiful wood. Did you ever determine what was causing the chunks coming off? The wood looks quite solid, and walnut is a dream to turn - or use for flatwork, as well.

John,

The swirl in the grain was most pronounced, and I think that there was some separation of layers [unbeknown to me] maybe wind shake? As I turned, large chunks would just pop out..... I felt like I was being pelted with rocks!

It would happen intermittently, so I did not know when it was going to occur. The tenon area where the foot was was really punky, and I had to just keep cutting away, and ended up with a tiny small platform for the very bottom; barely enough to make a parting cut with a thin parting tool.

This tree came from the middle of a large field, and was exposed to the wind and elements until it was brought down by a big storm. The folks who had it were going to use it for firewood until they heart me yell stop!

They were very nice, and I made the lady a bowl from another piece as a way of saying thanks.

you are correct - this was one of my beginning pieces as far as bowls were concerned.

From it's location, it does sound like wind shake to me, Roger. Boy, this is one pretty chunk of Walnut. And to be one of your firsts, it's really a nice looking one, too. Good job!
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Roger that is a really pretty bowl. Just think of the shrinking bowl as a design opportunity. I agree with Allen I have run into some Russian Olive and Walnut that had wind shake. Wood came out in chunks as I was hollowing the bowl out.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

It's a nice piece from some pretty wood. With the damage to the DC, it sounds like it was an expensive piece to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    It's a nice piece from some pretty wood. With the damage to the DC, it sounds like it was an expensive piece to turn.

David,

You got that right! DC Repair cost me well over a $100 and I was fortunate that the motor repair guy on the north side of town was able to get the thing back in order in a matter of a day, so not much down time for me.

Trash can cyclone separator lid! Keeps them big chunks out of your impeller. Did it not have a screen? Mine does.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Trash can cyclone separator lid! Keeps them big chunks out of your impeller. Did it not have a screen? Mine does.

My DC does not have a screen. That trash can separator is a good idea, but I don't have room for it.... things are really tight in my small shop.

Thanks Kyle