Thread: Large Black Walnut bowl

Large Black Walnut bowl

Well, as per John K's instruction [I hope to get them correct] I am attempting to post a picture of a large Black Walnut bowl- 13"x 6-1/2" high.

Some of the wood was a bit punky, and it left tool marks that I could not sand out, as the punky wood tore and did not cut,[even though I did sharpen a good bit]

It looks like it worked!

Thanks John! Also the turning was about 15 months ago, and was when I had my old lathe, and less tools and experience as it relates to "round and brown." I now have a second bevel on my bowl gouges that no longer leave tool marks and better grinding wheels [all thanks to the wonderful info I have gotten here on SMC from some of the nicest folks on this planet!]

Thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-29-2010 at 1:31 PM. Reason: additional

Beautiful piece of walnut!!! This one isn't bad at all, Roger. The foot may be a little large, and a little evidence shows from the tool troubles. But, overall a very nice bowl.

Good job on the pic!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Beautiful piece of walnut!!! This one isn't bad at all, Roger. The foot may be a little large, and a little evidence shows from the tool troubles. But, overall a very nice bowl.

Good job on the pic!!!!

John,

At the time my eye for form on bowls was not quite as developed as it is now, and at the time I turned it, I just was thinking that I wanted the bowl to sit stable, and not tip over if it was used for something like a flower arrangement that might tend to get top heavy.

I had a few nice compliments on the bowl at our turners meeting, but I always was disappointed with it because of the tool marks. The punky wood made a lot of that un-fixable, at least at that time with the skills I had developed at that point.

Thanks again for your help with the pics..... I just hope I can remember the next time I want to post!

making punky wood cut cleanly?

Regarding my last post in this thread to John K. ....I was wondering if anyone who has experience with punky wood could clue me in on how to make it where it is stable and will take a cut cleanly.....

the picture above of this black walnut bowl really shows how the wood just tore out, and left these tool mark rings that I don't have a clue if it is fix-able or not.

Any comments or observations would be appreciated.....I am always trying to learn from those more experienced than myself, or who have a better way of doing things....

Thanks everyone!

Nice looking bowl and some really nice looking wood.

I'm certainly not an expert, but there are a couple of tricks for dealing with difficult wood besides the usual "sharp tools and light cuts". Shellac applied before the final cut can help stiffen the softer areas so they cut more cleanly. I just watched a Mike Mahoney video where he recommends using your final finish as a way to stiffen the fibers before the finishing cut... In the video, he slops on some walnut oil before finish cuts in cottonwood. I haven't tried the Mahoney suggestion yet, but I've had good luck with the shellac.

Beautiful walnut and bowl.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That's a very nice piece of walnut Roger. Other than the punky wood problem you were having, the bowl turned out quite well. IMO, learning is half the fun, and like you said, there are plenty of knowledgable and friendly people on this forum to help us along in this great journey.

I like that Walnut Bowl! It won't tip over, with a good base.
    When I get into a punky area on a turning, I apply a 65/35 Lacquer Wash, blow it dry with a blast of air, and then I turn up the speed and take light cuts with a freshly sharpened tool. It usually works.
    There are some folks who just use a little paste wax, to do the same thing. Which ever you choose - shellac, Lacwash, or wax - it oughta work.
    At any rate, keep turning, keep learning.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.