Thread: Corian duck call

Corian duck call

I know, it isn't wood.

I turned this duck call this afternoon from a chunk of Corian countertop material that I had sitting around for quite some time. It turns just like acrylic for the most part. Wet sanded it to 1500 grit, then used plastic polish. Considering I usually turn wood, it is kind of fun to watch solid surface material go from a dull texture to very shiny as you get to finer grits and finally hit it with the polish.

The sound is excellent. My photography is not, even though I made a fancy-impromptu paper towel photo tent.

Comments/critiques welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks nice.

Aaron, I really like the look!! Looks like you need to get the guys that install for Lowe's to save scraps for you!

4. I would venture to say that there will not be a prettier call in the duck blind this season!

I think it looks good, and corian is probably a more practical/durable material for exposure to the elements than wood.

Nice looking call! Will look great for a long time! Does it float?

Thanks guys.

Baxter, nope it won't float. It is actually rather heavy compared to the acrylic and wood calls I'm used to turning.

John, you're totally right. I bought this stuff from a guy online that laminated it up using the manufacturer's color-matched epoxy. Solid surface comes 1/2" thick, so I need to find a countertop fabricator that will laminate three pieces together for me into turning squares or sheets I can rip down. I tried laminating it myself with CA once and had pretty limited success at hiding the glueline.

That's pretty cool looking! Talk about weather-proof! There is some pretty fancy solid surface materials out there these days and I think each manufacturer has their own color coordinated adhesive for glue ups. Would be worth talking to folks who do kitchen installs - just might run into a source!

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That's beautiful, Aaron. I believe Corian is a type of plastic, isn't it? I guess I should know the difference between acrylic and plastic, but I don't...
    I wonder if the epoxy they sell for gluing plastic at walmart would do the trick?
    Either way, that one is a true winner!!
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Neighbors View Post
    I believe Corian is a type of plastic, isn't it? I guess I should know the difference between acrylic and plastic, but I don't...
    It is some sort of plastic Allen. The little "rocks" in it are plastic too. I don't know my plastics either, but I can say that corian turns pretty much like acrylic does. It does seem to dull the tools a lot faster. I re-sharpened my roughing gouge twice during getting the two pieces rounded out and turned to rough shape, and I lost track of how many times I sharpened my scraper but it was a few.

I really like that call Aaron.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Dupont now has a transparent adhesive that is very popular. I'm told it will produce a seamless joint in almost all of the Corian colors.

You can purchase the small Dupont Adhesive gun for less that 30 bucks I think and the small adhesive cartridges are about seven bucks each. Your local distributor will sell the guns and the adhesive to the general public.

This is the very best glue for Corian and it produces a permanent joint that will never fail if the material is prepped properly. Clean both surfaces with alcohol prior to gluing.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Dupont now has a transparent adhesive that is very popular. I'm told it will produce a seamless joint in almost all of the Corian colors.

You can purchase the small Dupont Adhesive gun for less that 30 bucks I think and the small adhesive cartridges are about seven bucks each. Your local distributor will sell the guns and the adhesive to the general public.

This is the very best glue for Corian and it produces a permanent joint that will never fail if the material is prepped properly. Clean both surfaces with alcohol prior to gluing.
    Thanks Keith, that is good info that I was unaware of. Going to have to track down a local Corian dealer to try to score some scraps and buy some adhesive.

You can buy the corian epoxy online. Just google it. However some people use the 5 minute epoxy..

I am working with some plumbing cement right now... So far it holds the pieces together nicely but I havent gotten around to drilling them yet...

I will report my findings and if it works then this will be a very inexpensive fix or find...

I have turned some 2x2 corian blanks glued up with ca glue. I had to be very careful because the ca is not forgiving. Once I got in on the tube and glued to the tube (again with ca) the pen turned very easy. The glue lines, well, you could not find them....

As soon as my camera and tent get here I will also post some pics of the corian pen I did that was several 2x2 pieces glued up..
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

CA glue will hold it together just fine. Make sure the surfaces are flat and smooth. Med. CA and clamp for about 24 hours. Seams are invisible. I lay a piece of 220 sandpaper on my table saw top and sand flat.