Thread: Bandsaw purchase

Smile Bandsaw purchase

Hi. I'm new on this forum and I live in Canada. I'm looking to get a new bandsaw,possibly a 14 or 17 inch. What I am wondering is the Grizzly a real good unit? The price of the Grizzly seems to be lower than some. Am I correct in this.I would have to pay quite a bit more as the US dollar is higher than our Canadian dollar,plus duty. Does any one have one of these saws and if you do,how good a job does it do.I'm only into hobby and some custom woodworking jobs for friends.I can't see spending big dollars on more expensive saws, for example,Laguna,although they are classed as a top of the line saw.A good bandsaw that is made in Canada is the General, which sells for in the range of $2,000.00 What's your thoughts on the Grizzly.Thanks for any info you wish to share.
    Johnny R.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Welcome Johnny,

Glad you found the Creek. Great bunch of folks here and a lot of Griz users. I'll let those with the back ground speak to that one. I've found Jet to very reliable in many areas.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Hi Johnny -

First, welcome to the Creek. A great place to hang out and share ideas.

I have no experience with the Grizzly, so cannot comment. Other people here will be able to help you out, though. You might add to your list a <a href="http://rikontools.com/index.htm">Rikon</a> 18" bandsaw. It is in the same approximate price range.

I have a 14" Jet with a riser block and am in the market for a larger saw. I say that only because I was in your shoes when I originally got the Jet. You might think bigger initially and save yourself another purchase downstream.

Welcome,
    Ted

I do not believe that Grizzly is available in Canada...you'd have to buy it in the US and do the importation yourself. But...General International is and they have some very good machines in the size you are interested in.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

General Tool of Canada is purportedly better than Griz...and will be cheaper for you than they are here.

http://www.general.ca/

Some pro shipwright comments on them from the WBF:

A Chiwanese saw can be a good deal for someone who cannot afford a $1400 USD or more Unisaw, Powermatic, General of Canada.
    Takes a good bit of tweaking and adjusting but can be made to do decent work.

But I am of the opinion that good North American 'old ahrn'at a good price is the best deal of all. And if a piece of old ahrn is not in that great ashape and one is good at tweaking it still is a good deal.

Some years ago in one of the FWW mags and reprinted in one of the paperback books was an article on stationary woodworking machinery with interviews with reps. of Powermatic and Delta.

Good for background but a bit dated as Powermatic is now owned by JET and it is starting to show.

The fine 14 inch solid frame bandsoar is no longer made because it conflicted with the split frame JET model of the same dimensions.

Powermatic as well as General used Meehanite formula Cast Iron. Now I bet the Powermatic no longer does and probably many castings are coming in from Chiwan. At least from my last, one week ago visit, to my local tool emporium I checked fit and finish on a Powermatic 10 inch TS, the contender to the Delta Unisaw and I was not impressed. Sharp edges, seemingly thinner casting webs and thinner casting edges, not as finely polished table top etc..
    Since you have some lead time, why not start looking around at used old arhn? Older North American stuff is out there. Just have to watch for it.
    I could go on and on about old arhn but enough for now, I'm thinkin'.
    But I've a pro finish carpenter neighbor who loves his Jet....another pro timber framer neighbor who loves his Griz....and I'm delighted with my Delta.

Your choice, but I'd sure go look at General.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 12-07-2004 at 10:54 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rutherford
    Hi. I'm new on this forum and I live in Canada. I'm looking to get a new bandsaw,possibly a 14 or 17 inch. What I am wondering is the Grizzly a real good unit? The price of the Grizzly seems to be lower than some. Am I correct in this.I would have to pay quite a bit more as the US dollar is higher than our Canadian dollar,plus duty. Does any one have one of these saws and if you do,how good a job does it do.I'm only into hobby and some custom woodworking jobs for friends.I can't see spending big dollars on more expensive saws, for example,Laguna,although they are classed as a top of the line saw.A good bandsaw that is made in Canada is the General, which sells for in the range of $2,000.00 What's your thoughts on the Grizzly.Thanks for any info you wish to share.
    Hi Johnny,

Welcome to SMC!

I have a Grizzly G0555 Ultimate Bandsaw with the 6" riser kit and simply love the thing. I know there are many other very happy owners of the same saw on SMC, so I hope they chime in as well. If you have any specific questions, or would just like more detail on what G0555 ownership is like, please don't hesitate. Between us we can probably answer any questions you have (in nauseating detail).

Regarding international shipping. I just checked the Grizzly website, and they do indeed ship internationally, but it's apparently a somewhat more lengthy process than those of us down here south of the border are accustomed to.

The Grizzly website FAQ section says the following in regards to international shipping:

<TABLE cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="25%">How much does it cost to ship my order to me?

</TD><TD width="75%">We are unable to provide instant quotes for foreign shipments. To request a quote, simply provide the following information to us:
    • Complete Shipping Address
    • A list of items you are interested in ordering
    We will process a quote for you, and provide you with the information via fax or email. Please note, the quote process is complicated, and quotes for freight items may take up to two weeks to complete. Any changes to the list of machinery will result in the need to requote. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    I hope this is helpful, and once again, welcome to "The Creek."

Tom
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Welcome to Saw Mill Creek Johnny. I too am located in Canada and am investigating purchasing a bandsaw in the US. I have had some experience purchasing smaller power tools in the US and I did have to pay extra shipping, brokerage fees, and sometimes duties getting them sent to Canada.

Did you, by any chance, once live in Beeton Ontario?

Welcome to the Creek, Johnny! If you're seriously considering a 17" bandsaw, you might want to check out one of the recent issues of FWW. They tested IIRC 17" b/s and rated them! Again....Welcome!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Welcome to Saw Mill Creek Johnny. I too am located in Canada and am investigating purchasing a bandsaw in the US. I have had some experience purchasing smaller power tools in the US and I did have to pay extra shipping, brokerage fees, and sometimes duties getting them sent to Canada.

Did you, by any chance, once live in Beeton Ontario?
    Hi Frank,
    No,I did not live in Beeton.Ontario. Did you know someone there with the same name as mine? Thanks for the kind welcome to the Creek I recieved from your self and the other fellows that responded to my post.Bandsaws sell close to new prices at auctions in my area, so I would be further ahead to a buy new saw.I'm sort of leaning toward the General International.
    Johnny R.

IIRC, bandsaw guru Lou Iturra lists the 15" General as his pick of currently-manufactured models.