View Poll Results: Should the US go to the metric system?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we aren't Lord and Master of the world anymore.

47 43.93%
  • No, the rest of the planet will see the light and come around.

37 34.58%
  • I've given up fixing stuff, I don't care.

11 10.28%
  • You first, there's a Craftsman sale at Sears on metric stuff.

12 11.21%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we go to the metric system?

Should we go to the metric system?

Leave politics out of it.

Liberia, Burma and the US are the last countries that have still not converted. Given that most of our cars, appliances and cast arn tools 'n such are imported with metric nuts and bolts.....

Should we finally see the light and get with the program?
    Last edited by Mitchell Andrus; 08-01-2010 at 8:24 AM.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Blog Entries
    Despite the problems of not growing up with it, and therefore making it confusing to do conversions on the fly, I wouldn't mind seeing us convert.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

What will become of all my 1/8" saw blades if we go metric?!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    Oh No!!!! It seems like they tried this during my childhood. I thought we decided to go it alone. Besides....it's way too easy to use metrics. How many STONE do I weigh?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Blog Entries
    I'm not going to be able to use my 3/8 drill, either
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Blog Entries
    I think if you had just used No for the second choice instead of the wording you used, the poll would come out much different.

Go to the lumber yard and try to get a 50mm X 100mm X 2.44 meter board.

Yes but what the rest of the world thinks or does isn't a factor in it.

Metric is faster and easier in almost every way.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

No. Things made to metric dimensions look funny.

The only benefit (I can fathom) is that I'll feel like I've lost weight if I start weighing myself in kilograms.

Blog Entries
    I was as comfortable with metric as I was with the Queen's Own when I was learning it in elementary school. Then again when our leaders spent who knows how much money putting up all those silly speed limit signs in KPH.

Of course by now I have only the fundamental understanding that gets one through the day but, I say go for it . . . .

BTW what the next size up from 95/128ths? Oh yeah, .... 3/4's. Funny, the next size up from 95mm is 96mm . . . How SILLY!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

it makes to think in terms of 10 for me. my only complaint with the metric system is for the construction trade...it is difficult to replace feet and inches with millimeters and meters. a 2 x 4 becomes 50mm x 100mm.?

The general public can change to the metic system overnight if they will simply accept the new system.

For business to change to the metric system it will take generations to accomplish. The investment in American Standard tools and machinery is more than most governing bodies are able to fathom. Machine shops alone have huge investments in tools that will last for decades and often machinists own their own measuring tools. I seriously doubt that consumers will be willing to pay the cost increases that a forced change over to metric tools would impose.

I can imagine the response to a company announcement that everyone must cease using their sets of Starret Micrometers on Monday morning..........yeah right. I remember seeing micrometers at Newport News Shipbuilding that were so big they had to be handled by a crane. No worries the taxpayer can afford to pay to replace them

I am sure that I have a couple thousand dollars in fasteners in my workshop not to mention my roll-around is stocked with American Standard wrenches and sockets, etc.

Who is going to tell all the Union pipe fitters that they can't use 3" pipe anymore or the welders that they can't use 1/8" welding rod. Not me

I remember a few years ago when gas stations started switching to liters, I passed them by just like everyone else did and they almost went out of business before they converted their gas pumps back to gallons.

I prefer to stay with what has worked for over 200 years and let the rest of the world and future generations of Americans do whatever they please. I'm comfortable with fractions of an inch so I will stay put thank you.............
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-01-2010 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    The general public can change to the metic system overnight if they will simply accept the new system.

For business to change to the metric system it will take generations to accomplish. The investment in American Standard tools and machinery is more than most governing bodies are able to fathom. Machine shops alone have huge investments in tools that will last for decades and often machinists own their own measuring tools. I seriously doubt that consumers will be willing to pay the cost increases that a forced change over to metric tools would impose.

I can imagine the response to a company announcement that everyone must cease using their sets of Starret Micrometers on Monday morning..........yeah right.

I am sure that I have a couple thousand dollars in fasteners in my workshop not to mention my roll-around is stocked with American Standard wrenches and sockets, etc.

Who is going to tell all the Union pipe fitters that they can't use 3" pipe anymore or the welders that they can't use 1/8" welding rod. Not me

I remember a few years ago when gas stations started switching to liters, I passed them by just like everyone else did and they almost went out of business before they converted their gas pumps back to gallons.

I prefer to stay with what has worked for over 200 years and let the rest of the world and future generations of Americans do whatever they please. I'm comfortable with fractions of an inch so I will stay put thank you.............
    I believe the aircraft industry, at least Boeing and airbus work in the imperial system and won't change anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wintle View Post
    it makes to think in terms of 10 for me. my only complaint with the metric system is for the construction trade...it is difficult to replace feet and inches with millimeters and meters. a 2 x 4 becomes 50mm x 100mm.?
    A 2x4 isn't really 2"x4". So I think we can still say "two by four", receive a stud that's 38.1 mm x 88.9 mm, and be just as accurate as we are today.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    A 2x4 isn't really 2"x4". So I think we can still say "two by four", receive a stud that's 38.1 mm x 88.9 mm, and be just as accurate as we are today.
    How true! In canada some building materials have changed to adapt to the metric system...notably asphalt shingles.