Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good joint supplements?

Any good joint supplements?

Anyone have any positive experiences w/ any joint supplements?

I've heard conflicting information about whether they work.

Reviews on places like Amazon are useless because the people that give them five stars often haven't reviewed anything else. Which is kinda fishy.

I know a guy that is in his 60's that plays a lot of tennis, and he swears by Hyaluronic Acid supplements for his knees.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 08-01-2010 at 10:30 PM.

You can't go wrong with quality fish oil. You have to get the good stuff, but even that isn't very expensive. The omega 3 fatty acids in fish oil are very good for many parts of the human body; to include the brain.

I'm skeptical about shark cartilidge and the others. But I admit, I haven't tried them myself.

I used oxycontin glucosamine as recommended by my orthopedic surgeon. It takes a couple of months to reap the benefits but my arthritic knees and ankles did feel better. I quit taking it because I am diabetic and it was messing up my blood sugars.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Anyone have any positive experiences w/ any joint supplements?

I've heard conflicting information about whether they work.

Reviews on places like Amazon are useless because the people that give them five stars often haven't reviewed anything else. Which is kinda fishy.

I know a guy that is in his 60's that plays a lot of tennis, and he swears by Hyaluronic Acid supplements for his knees.
    About a year ago I took up futsal. Im 46 and I play with people that are half my age and younger. Basically I run my ass off trying to keep... My hips in that time were taking a pounding. There were a lot of times where my hips wouldn't quite lock up but they would have a lot of trouble with full movement. My guess is the natural lubricant was lacking and therefore they were sticking a bit and it would take some extra and painful effort to get the full range of movement out of them. About 2 months ago I thought it couldn't hurt to try Glucosamine and Condroitin Compound. I started by taking 3 pills a day for a week and then I dropped to one a day and the hips have smoothed up a fair bit. I'd say the sticking has subsided by about 75%. So you could say I'm sold.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Phil

I used Solgar brand Glucosamine Sulfate and Condroitin, combined with Creatine Monohydrate for the last few years of my cycling career.
    It worked.
    The placebo effect can only take a person so far. I'm fairly certain I went well past that point.

I never tried Hyaluronic Acid, but after seeing what it can do for an ex race horse, I wish I could have found some for humans. (Horses aren't susceptible to the placebo effect either.)
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-02-2010 at 8:33 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

All good information, thanks guys.

Mike, the HA is available at Walmart and online at places like Amazon.

I haven't checked the stuff Walmart sells, I'm not sure where it is made. I'm going to look into it today.

Blog Entries
    And here I was thinking someone was looking for additional "herbs" to add to their <cough> cigarette...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Phil,

I have problems with both knees.

I discussed the glucosamine supplements with my doctor. He said recent studies show they work in about 40% of people.

He told me to try them for a few months. They'd either work or they wouldn't and they wouldn't hurt me.

I tried them. They didn't help me.

My wife, on the other hand, has used them for years and they seem to help her.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Glucosamine has helped me with my knees. It takes a while before you feel the results but the pains in my knees are considerably less than before I started using it.
    I had not heard about glucosamine having any issues with blood sugar, I will have to research that, maybe I can get rid of a few very expensive drugs I am taking.
    David B

Again thanks for the input guys.

I stopped at Walmart on the way to work this morning and picked up a couple of bottles of Spring Valley Hyaluronic Acid. 60 capsules, 20mg each, runs $9 a bottle.

I'm going to try this stuff for a while and see what happens.

If it doesn't help I'll try some of the glucosamine type products.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Phil,

I have problems with both knees.

I discussed the glucosamine supplements with my doctor. He said recent studies show they work in about 40% of people.

He told me to try them for a few months. They'd either work or they wouldn't and they wouldn't hurt me.

I tried them. They didn't help me.

My wife, on the other hand, has used them for years and they seem to help her.

I discussed it with my Doctor and he said the same thing. In my case it seems to have helped. I've also lost weight because I exercise regularly now and that helps the knees and ankles too. For the skeptics amoung us the relief from knee pain came first then the exercise......
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I discussed it with my Doctor and he said the same thing. In my case it seems to have helped. I've also lost weight because I exercise regularly now and that helps the knees and ankles too. For the skeptics amoung us the relief from knee pain came first then the exercise......
    I know guys that have bad knees on the really pack the pounds on. Exercise (at least any exercise that involves moving your legs) just isn't possible.

I had no knee problems until last year when I took a knee to fix my wife's car. When I stood, I couldn't straighten my leg. 10 minutes later it popped and it was okay and only mildly painful.

I took various joint supplements and it really helped. I hadn't realized how much my joints had ached for so long. The products worked well enough that that I stopped taking them. This time I intend to find something that works and keep with it.

Phil,

I've been using Triflex Fast-Acting from GNC. It's expensive, but it works and it enters your system in days not weeks.

George

CosaminDS claims to be the ONLY brand of Glucosamine/Chondroitin Sulfate that is clinically proven to reduce joint pain. I take it. Have for years. I think it certainly helps me.

I also take fish oil. Started that about two years ago on the recommendation of my accupucturist. Again, would recommend it to anyone. I even take a pretty high dose of the fish oil (4 pills in the morning and 4 in the evening). I go to Costco and get NatureMade brand. I wouldn't trust the "off" brand names.

As for CosaminDS and off brand names...well, a bottle CosaminDS (lasts me almost 4 months @ 2 pills a day...7 months at lower doses) is $65 at Costco. Other brands are 20 some odd dollars.
    I drink, therefore I am.

As my daughters Vet has said about supplements ND there is no data that supports the use of them. If you belive they work then they may work fo you as the mind is very powerful and can induce results.