Thread: How to cut plywood

Angry How to cut plywood

I recently made some yard decorations for Christmas and used interior/exterior BC 15/32 plywood. I cut it with a Jig saw with a Bosch blade that said it was for plywood, but it chipped out badly at times I tried to slow the bade, I changed the blade to a finer tooth one, and adjusted the back and forth action via the control knob on the side of the saw, but still had chips on the cut line. So what did I do wrong and how do I not do it the next time? THANKS!

Jack, with hopes of not getting "flamed" for this, I don't think it's the blade, speed or operator. I've done some cutting as you describe, but I use a different jig saw. Brand starts with an "F" and the last part ryhmes with "pool". It has anti-chip inserts on it to help prevent stuff like that. If you're going to retain your own tool for doing this, you might try taping the cut lines with some clear packing tape before making the cuts, just to lend the fibers some support.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Jack
    Another option is to pre score the plywood. Use a sharp case knife and score a line. Then cut on the waste side of the score.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Tape will help. I've also used the Bosch laminate cutting blade, can't remember the # off hand but will check it out when I get home & PM ya.

Blog Entries

Bosch Blades

I am presently cutting some plywood with my Bosch Jig saw. This is birch veneer ply wood. I am using the Bosch Progressor T-234 blade and the anti splinter insert. I get virtually no tearout on the top or bottom and the cut is as smooth as I can get with a table saw (maybe not as straight). Bosch also makes a plywood blade with downward angled teeth. I've not used this blade, but it cuts only on the down stroke, making chip out on the top surface non-existent.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

As above, I suggest a lamanite blade.

Even my 30 year old Craftsman jig saw has an anti-chip insert (and thin blade) for plywood. Try to find one for your saw.

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

You might consider making an auxiliary base that functions as a zero clearance throatplate. I would cut the slot with the blade you're going to use, from the back of the base (or from a start hole behind where the blade will go) and ending right where the blade will be doing the cutting. One day I have to do this for my jigsaw . . .

Jack -

My Bosch JS came with a clear platic ZCI. If you can't find yours, they are available. In the mean time, score the cut with a utility knife just inside the cut line as Dave suggested.

Ted

plywood

Well I have a Makita Jig saw and I don't recall seeing anything about ZCI's. I appreciate the other tips and wiil try them out tonight. THANKS!

Jack, one last thing. Leave the oscillation turned off. You will have to travel a bit slower but it does affect the cut quality.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

plywood

Yeah it cuts faster but your right that it causes more tear out. Thanks Steve!

Dan has an excellent suggestion. Make an auxillary base plate from a scrap of Masonite and attach it with double-sided carpet tape. I'd add a hole about a quarter of an inch ahead of the blade slot to allow the line to be seen.

You could also make it from a piece of lexan and omit the hole.