Thread: Water Based Oil Modified Poly from Minwax

Water Based Oil Modified Poly from Minwax

http://www.minwax.com/products/inter...yurethane.html

Has anyone tried this new product from Minwax? We did this weekend. I ended up returning it for a refund! The cost was high, $43 per gallon, about $14 more than their fast drying poly, but the water clean up attracted me. I had red oak sanded to 220, very smooth! The water base poly was very thin, almost like water. It was hard to apply, I let it dry 2-3 hours and went back to the project. I have never seen the grain raised to much!! And it was hard to sand down. The surface seem hard but sticky or gummy. I took it back to Lowes for a refund and bought the fast drying poly. It works great!

Is my experience unique?
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

I saw that, too, but opted for the Polycrylic (which I've had great success with in the past). I think I'll continue to shy away from this new stuff.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

We have used Polycrylic a lot! It works really well. Do you think it is as durable as the regular poly? Right now, I have no reason to think that it is not as durable. I am going to purchase a HVLP Earlex 3500 unit. You can't spray Polycrylic.

Blog Entries
    +1 on Polycrylic when I spray poly (which is rare).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Polycrylic is an acrylic finish not a polyurethane varnish. Not as durable... don't believe all the hype about oil modified, etc. Minwax water-bornes are acrylic with less than 5% poly; usually less than 3% polyurethane. All they do is add a bit of oil poly to the emulsion.

Many household cleaners will damage acrylic finishes.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thanks Scott, that is good information.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gregory View Post
    We have used Polycrylic a lot! It works really well. Do you think it is as durable as the regular poly? Right now, I have no reason to think that it is not as durable. I am going to purchase a HVLP Earlex 3500 unit. You can't spray Polycrylic.
    A waterborne finish is not as chemical and watervapor and water resistant as an oil based varnish or poly varnish finish. However, for many applications, is may be durable enough.

Sure you can spray Polycrylic.
    Howie.........