Thread: Newest Hunting Buddy

Newest Hunting Buddy

After the unexpected passing of my close companion and hunting buddy 3 weeks ago. Who was the best dog I have ever hunted with. I have been told the quickest way to ease the pain was to jump on the horse again. So I would like to introduce the newest member of my family, "Kirby". My wife named this one. I only hope he will be half the hunter "Newman" was. This one is from field champion bloodlines with pointing lab bloodlines. So we will see what happens. The fun is just beginning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 08-02-2010 at 4:43 PM.

Looks like a champ to me! Congrats!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Looks like a great pup! We did the same -- got a new Golden Retriever after our beloved Max died. The new one -- Wiley, the kids named him -- is a wild, crazy dog. Perfect for the kids. Max was a cerebral dog, perfect for me and Pam. I sometimes say, Max came back as Wiley, but with a different mission this time, and boy he knows how to do it!

BTW, good looking boy! Nice setting, too. Where is that?

Mark

Congrats on your new family member Paul! Looks like Kirby will fit right in!

I also like the way - at even his young age - he takes the time out to smell the flowers along the way!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by John Mark Lane View Post

BTW, good looking boy! Nice setting, too. Where is that?

Mark
    The setting was at our family's cabin on green lake (spicer, mn). North of Willmar, MN about 15 miles. We have spent the last 4 weekends there, it has been a nice summer, we usually dont get to spend 4 weekends all year there. The breeder was about 150 miles away from me, but the cabin was about in the middle. So it worked out well, to pick the pup up one of the weekends when we were at the cabin.

He has taken so well to the kids, I really cant believe it. My daughter is 9 months old and he sat right next to her for about 2 hours today. I have a feeling when he gets older the kids will have a big brother in their corner. The dog that past away was here before the kids. He was great with them, he would allow them to do anything to him at any time, even when he was eating. But he was not protective of them so much, while outside he always stayed with me didn't care where the kids were.

Ah, yes. Our Wiley came along when our kids were 3 and 5. My daughter (now just 8) can sit on him, lay on him, crawl all over him...and he just sticks his big nose in her face and licks licks licks. They are best friends.

I know from experience a good dog will put his life on the line for you, in a heartbeat, without thinking twice. Even once. Knowing that the big goofy dog I brought home will stand between my children and any harm that presents itself... gives me great comfort. And as a consequence, well, I'll stand in the way of any harm that comes his way, too.

Corny as it may sound, they are "man's best friend."

Nice lake house. Enjoy!!! Life is short.

He's a good looking pup!
    He'll have everyone's heart in no time.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Looks like a good bird dog from where I sit. Just be sure to introduce him to birds first then quiet guns or guns at a distance. Nothing spoils a good dog faster than having 3-4 guys blast away at the first bird the dog ever finds. It's harder to break a gun shy dog than to introduce them properly. Taking them for a walk at the local skeet range isn't good intro either.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Oh, he's a cutie! But....he's sniffing flowers! Shouldn't he be sniffing...um...moving objects like squirrels, rabbits, and (if he is to be a bird dog) birds?

Paul, seriously though, he won't be half the hunter that Newman was. He'll never match up. He won't come close to half. But you'll love him just the same for it. There will never be another Newman. The bond you two had (from your posts) is a once in a lifetime thing. We were SUPER fortunate to have it. With each new dog, we look for it...not even close. But their quirks and personalities make them lovable none the less. Good luck with Kirby. He looks like a love.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys/gals. He has heard some .22 fire already and does very well. I will introduce louder blasts as he gets older so by the time we go hunting for the 1st time he will have heard the shot gun before. I have a brother that ruined a vizsla by trying to hunt to early. I will do my best not to let that happen. The trap range will be visited with him in the truck the whole time on the 1st occasion. This season will be a waste as far as bird harvest goes, but will work well for training. Thanks again.