Thread: Plastics 100 class question

Plastics 100 class question

I was approached by a shop to cut smaller letters from plastic on my CNC since thiers was too big a beast for the size. Used a Whiteside O-flute and it went well.

There was a piece of Plexiglass Acrylic in my garage that I used for the experiment. It was left by previous owners, so at least 10 years old.

HOW do you get the paper and glue off the pieces after cutting????

It seemed simple at first, peel the paper off and then push the glue layer off with the thumb. Worked for a couple letters and then I noticed a blister on bottom of thumb. Tried a wood stir stick with only marginal success. I would need to charge more for cleaning the letters than cutting them. Throw me a couple ideas!!

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stram View Post
    I was approached by a shop to cut smaller letters from plastic on my CNC since thiers was too big a beast for the size. Used a Whiteside O-flute and it went well.

There was a piece of Plexiglass Acrylic in my garage that I used for the experiment. It was left by previous owners, so at least 10 years old.

HOW do you get the paper and glue off the pieces after cutting????

It seemed simple at first, peel the paper off and then push the glue layer off with the thumb. Worked for a couple letters and then I noticed a blister on bottom of thumb. Tried a wood stir stick with only marginal success. I would need to charge more for cleaning the letters than cutting them. Throw me a couple ideas!!

Steve.
    I recently asked the same question at an acrylic shop and was told Naptha will take off the glue but not harm the plastic.

It's a bear. Not seen any easy solution yet. It could take you hours to get both sides clean. In the end, it's probably less expensive to buy a new sheet and throw that old one away.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    It's a bear. Not seen any easy solution yet. It could take you hours to get both sides clean. In the end, it's probably less expensive to buy a new sheet and throw that old one away.
    Yes, I wouldn't touch 10 year old stock, especially if it's been allowed to see sun. To save a few dollars on material and spend a couple hundred on labor makes no sense.

Also, it's easier to remove before cutting, then apply transfer tape to protect it and it will peel right off. Even new stock may have sat for a time in the warehouse so if it looks at all faded I'll test it first by peeling up a corner.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

The shop actually gave me a square of new stock, but while ordering the right router bits it got misplaced. That was the reason for using old stock.

Steve.

Dropped the letters off today and the owner smiled when looking at remainder of sheet that I had cut. Not only was it "old", but that material technology isn't being used any more. More smiles when mentioning the trouble getting paper/glue off.

Even with all that, the owner liked the quality and size. Said the edges will be even better when using the latest materials. Expecting some work in the next week.

Steve.